Register now to get rid of these ads!

teardrop camper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by conn.rod, Jul 15, 2012.

1. conn.rod

conn.rod
    from atlanta

I am planning on building a teardrop,question is,would it be better to put the thin aluminum sheeting on it or,would I be able to put bondo/body filler over the plywood,sand and paint?In a professional opinion,which is the best way to go?

2. WDO40

WDO40

I would cover it with the alum.

3. conn.rod

conn.rod
    from atlanta

is it a pain in the ass to cover it with aluminum

4. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

You can go to a Truck repair shop where they repair trailers{Lufkin trailer} and buy plywood that the alumnium is bonded to the plywood. Not cheap but you would onlt need 2 sheets.

5. kscarguy

kscarguy

glue and glitter...Ha! Cover it with aluminum. Do not bondo over the wood, that will just invite cracks.

6. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

i di the aluminum. you can cut it with tin snips. .30 is all the thicker you will need.

as for the bondo and wood idea. they both attracted moisture and expand and contract differently thru-out temp. ranges, so like stated befor you'll get cracks. if your really not into aluminum, try fiberglass alittle messy but secures to wood better.

heres a few pics. of my build.

george.

Attached Files:

7. conn.rod

conn.rod
    from atlanta

thank you fellas,I ask questions to guys like you,cause a lot of you have the answers.You all are a big help.Scott

8. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

+ One. Lots of good Teardrop sites out there that can help you further. :)

9. If you already have the wooden sides done, apply the alluminum and trim it with a router. I promise it will cut like butter.

10. monkeywrenching

monkeywrenching
    from maryland

Try some of the foums out there for some good ideas and plans. Do a google search or you might try this one.
    http://www.tnttt.com/

11. Gromit

Gromit

There are some very cool textures/patterns of aluminum available. That's how I'd go. Or maybe a cabinet quality veneer (sp) plywood and a bucket of marine varnish for a woodie. (insert camping/woody joke here)