Register now to get rid of these ads!

Teach me about riviting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cabriolethiboy, Nov 6, 2006.

1. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

I just built some bomber seats for the roadster I am building and I want to rivit them together, but I don't know anything about riviting. Can someone help me out a little? Am I going to have to buy a rivit gun or can I do them with a hammer? What kind of rivits do I want? Where can I get them? Is there a book I can buy? Would copper rivits look alright or should I use aluminum? The seats are made from .063 aluminum. What size and spacing do I use?

2. How about some pictures, or even better a Tech article!

3. lucky loony

lucky loony
    from canada

copper will eat the aluminum. don't throw pennies in yer tin boat.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You will need to buy a riveter to keep from screwing up your panels that need to be riveted. I would try to use the same material for the rivets.

Do a search for riveting. There is a TON of stuff on here...

Check Aircraft Spruce for the tools...

5. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Another option for supplies is a semi trailer repair shop. I picked up a good selection from a shop in our area. They use them to repair the sheeting on semi vans. They can probably also help in explaining how it is done. I got the anvil things that I used in an air hammer also from them.

You hold a hammer or dolly on the back side and hit the front side with the air hammer. It takes some practice to not distort the head of the rivet too much. A regulator to turn down the pressure on the air hammer helps.

Neal

6. chilimac

chilimac

Try the yardstore.com for tools.The EAA has info on riveting try thier website or buy a copy of A.C. 43-13-1A from the FAA.Go to your local airport and see if any of the A&Ps are into hot rods.Or come on down and I'll show you how to do it.

7. BigWigRaceCars

BigWigRaceCars
    from Austin, TX

8. Roupe

Roupe

Thanks for the info and links. I've got some riveting to do in the future.

9. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

10. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

I wiil try to put together a tech article on building the seats. I am not very good on the computer so it may take me a while.

11. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

Steve, I had some info on a company that made small plain round head bolts that used nuts. They look like rivets, probably no help for your application.
    Sounds like a cool project, let's see some pics!!

12. mrkerb

mrkerb

I bought a manual "sqeezer" (not a pop riveter) from Aircraft Spruce that I have used for years. They have fairly shallow jaws so the rivets must be installed near the edges. Check out their website, they sell manual riveters, air riveters and the rivets themselves: aircraftspruce.com
    Their catalog is full of stuff you didn't know you needed.

13. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

The easiest way to make nice looking rivets is with a rivet Squeezer. The only hold back to them is sometimes you can't get to where you need to rivet depending on what your working on. Since I have no idea what part of the seat your doing I can't tell you if they would work or not. You can buy a pneaumatic squeezer or a hand squeezer but I really hope you get soft rivets if you do it by hand or you'll have a hell of a time squeezing them. I'm a aircraft structures guy in the Airforce so if you need any advice let me know. You can use the rivet gun but I'd practice a bunch on something besides your seat first, its not as easy as it looks. I wish I was at my home station I could send you a bunch of rivets I have laying around at home for free but I won't be home for another month... Well good luck -Zipp

14. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

O you want to use "AD" rivets, I'm assuming your seats are aluminum right?