Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tattersfield Reproductions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hightower611, Jul 4, 2012.

1. hightower611

hightower611

Just found something interesting I wanted to share and warn you guys about. It seems that someone has started reproducing Tattersfield air cleaners and intakes for flatheads. I don't mind that they are being reproduced as long as they are being marketed as reproductions.

I have found this on an online auction after I noticed 2 people from California seem to have a good supply of these items. One lists the air cleaners as used (several over the last month) but the other shows the intakes as new. New Tattersfield intakes were painted blue when they were shipped.
    If you are paying big money for these you want to make sure they real and not copies.

These are the real ones from a borrowed pic.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      451.1 KB
      Views:
  2. banjorear

banjorear

Funny, I noticed the same. Does anyone have info. on who is doing the repops?

3. There was a booth at LARS showing the manifolds and air cleaners. Hexagon tool company was another brand I remember seeing a booth for.

4. j-stovebolt

j-stovebolt
    from Minnesota

I have also noticed the Thickstun 235 chevy dog bone intake and a couple tattersfield model a/b intakes are being listed as new on the auction site. I have tried to find a source for these but have come up with nothing.

5. moonlight graham

moonlight graham
    from wyo

Tony Baron is producing from the original molds the PM-7 intake, the 4-carb flathead intake and the air cleaner shown above. I spoke with him a few weeks ago and he told me that he has a partner that lists them on e-bay. That was Tony at the LARS. I don't believe he is painting he intakes or air cleaner blue. I'm saving for a set of heads.

Geoffrey

6. banjorear

banjorear

I wonder who is doing it. Does anyone know if Tony B. is offering the high rise version of his pop's 4X2 intake?

Thanks.

7. bobscogin

bobscogin

If they're being produced from the original molds, then they wouldn't be reproductions, right?

Bob

Carter likes this.
  8. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Just to a bit anal, but no sand casting is ever made from "original molds". When sand casting, the mold is destroyed after every pour. New molds are required for each casting. The patterns and core boxes (the molds from which sand cores are formed) may be original but since they were made of wood, they might well have needed reproduced after all these years.

9. hotdamn

hotdamn

to me this is like those guys that list a 4door car for sale and never mention in the ad that is a moredoor, then they show all kinds of pictures of the car except the ones clearly showing that its a 4door.

we learned as children that withholding information for the sake of deception is lying too...

10. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto, Dale,.... I do know that most really good, production grade patterns were made from very tight grained hardwoods,....... I have a couple of wheel patterns from a railroad foundary, and for all the use they got, are in remarkably excellent conditiion.

4TTRUK

11. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Wooden patterns can survive if they were limited use (less than say, a million pours)and well taken care of.
    They should still be refered to as reproductions though because they are not being made by the original company. When a company makes a product, they build a reputation with each part. Specs, service, and quality are all assumed to be good because it's a "such-n-such" product. When someone makes a reproduction, all that goes out the window. Even if they do a real jam-tastic job, it's still a case of "buy our COPY of "such-n-such". Otherwise they wouldn't be selling a copy, they'd be building their own reputation but building their own product.

12. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

While the wood patterns can last along time if properly cared for, drill jigs are subject to a lot more wear and tear and need to be refurbished from time to time.

I see no reason to refer to these as "reproductions" if the original patterns are used.