Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tardel style Model A frame step

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by thetwistedpiston, Sep 23, 2018.

1. thetwistedpiston

thetwistedpiston

I'm getting ready to step my Model A frame, per the Bishop/Tardel book it says to make the cut "4" from the forward face of the rear cross-member" the problem I have is that the frame rail and cross-member is not at a right angle. So where / how do I take my measurement? Maybe I'm being too precise. Any advice would be appreciated. a%20frame%20meas.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Measure on the outside.

thetwistedpiston likes this.
  3. thetwistedpiston

thetwistedpiston

Thanks, that was my original approach.

4. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Your worrying a little too much about the measurement forward of the crossmember , the idea is to slice it before those gussets as not to disturb them although make sure you cut in the same place both sides

I use a square on the top side of the rail and scribe down , use a scribe not a sharpie as it makes for more precise cuts

I weld something in the frame to keep it from springing when it gets cut loose , and when you weld the cross back in make sure it’s on the same plane as the frame is

I just did one Friday I can take pics tomorrow if you want

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018

5. thetwistedpiston

thetwistedpiston

I kind of figured I was thinking too much. I'm used to .003 tolerances at work.

Thanks for the advice!

6. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Yeah , I used to work in machine shops also, I worked for tardel awhile and learned perfectionism can be paralysis on a hotrod ...also that book is a guideline more than anything , a couple of measurements were printed wrong originally and he got all kinds of calls that something was 1/16 off from his measurements , or whatever..

while it is kinda a how to book you still have to let you conscious be your guide if the book says something fits but you see the fan poking past your radiator , time to regroup on the moch up

30 AV8, 5window, barrnone50 and 3 others like this.
  7. glorydime

glorydime
    from Austin, TX

Anyone have any photos of the body and sub frame/rails modifications to fit around the step? I see in the tardel book and I think I get how it works. You basically cut the subframe/rails to fit the step correct? My body has a 1x1 shit subframe i am going to cut out as soon as i get the subframe i purchased from brookville matted to the body. So i am trying to set the subframe down make the cuts then mate up the body. Any advise i will take gladly.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    wallyringo likes this.