Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Tappet Wrenches"!?...Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PackardWood, Aug 27, 2012.

1. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

This thread got me to thinking where mine were. Haven't used them in over 20 years, but there was a time.....:) Tom...

Attached Files:

2. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

Want to sell them to me? PM me if so. I know it is hard to part with tools but you said yourself that you have not used them since I was 11, I will give them a good home. Steve

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

On really OLD engines it is easier to set the tappets running than not. That Packard will idle down to 400 RPM or less, idle it down as low as possible for setting the tappets then speed it back up when you are done (1/2 turn of a screwdriver, if that).

Also the solid lifters do not throw oil around like a sprinkler system or a Chev V8, very little mess.

You can go down the line checking the valves without having to turn the engine over by hand all the time, and your feeler gauge does not get pounded if the engine is running slow.

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have my dads set that are probably over 50 years old and are Craftsman that probably cant be replaced if broken.

5. PackardV8

PackardV8

FWIW, on a flathead Packard, the valve lash difference from 70-degrees cold to 180-degrees hot typically won't be much over .001-002" at most.

On an OHV engine, with long pushrods and rockers, it will vary maybe .002-003" typically.

Your results may vary.

jack vines

6. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC