Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tank problem fixed now what?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1948stude, Apr 3, 2013.

1. 1948stude

1948stude

OK now the truck won't start again - why did I chose machines as a hobby??
    Center carb of my tri-power - currently no power - was leaking fuel the other day - stopped when I tapped on it- probably stuck float - now who knows what... have had issue with this carb before took it apart and cleaned it out when it leaked gas before,was going to teach myself how to rebuild it, have a car show coming up and just want it done at this point think I may pay someone to do it.....again why do I like machines.......? Oh yeah also have a shovel head thats given me problems, think Im just tired of wrenching for the moment....know its a fuel issue because it starts with starter fluid, was just running great (don't understand that at all) I know Im getting gas, had someone turn the engine over with center carb off and gas sprayed out of the hard line that was connected to the carb...so my thinking is it must be the carb......

2. is the fuel old? are you getting good spark?

3. rustang

rustang

Old gas or garbage in the lines? Do you have a fuel filter, and have you cleaned it?

If it runs on spray or putting a little gas down the carb, and the fuel pump is sending fuel to the carb... you probably have an issue with the carb.

4. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Take the carbs apart slowly, paying attention to the length of the screws. Make sure they go back to the proper spot later. Look for crud in the bottom of the float bowl. Remove jets, spray out all holes and passages with carb cleaner, blow air through them (wear eye protection). Turn in air/fuel mixture screw until gently seated, counting the number of turns until it seats (when you reinstall it, gently seat it and turn it out that number of turns, gets you in the ballpark). Remove it and carb clean/blow out that passage. Never blow compressed air into an assembled carb!

Sounds like you have crud in the carbs and they gotta be cleaned out. If you tear any gaskets when disassembling you may need to buy a rebuild kit to replace it.
    Make sure you got a good fuel filter to keep crud out and save you these headaches.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

5. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

sounds to me like the float might be rubbing somewhere and sticking.