Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Talkin about cars with my dad...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by snelson57, Mar 11, 2011.

1. snelson57

snelson57

Well, my dad and I certainly cant talk politics and that is hard to avoid in Wisconsin these days. One thing that we can always talk about is cars...

It has alway amazed me the shear number of cars he owned over the years...I wonder how many people traded cars as often as he did.

We got on the topic today of a 57 plymouth. It went something like this:

Dad: I had a 57 plymouth once.
    Me: Did you buy it new?
    Dad: No, I bought it in 58 (he would have been 19 in 1958 BTW)
    Me: You traded that for your 59 Impala convert?
    Dad: I guess....no, wait... I had a 59 Tbird in there
    Me: You bought a new 59 Tbird and traded it for a new 59 Impala?
    Dad: Yes...I really liked that 59 Impala. I put a custom grill in it. It was a neat car.
    Me: I agree ...
    Dad: I traded it for a new 60 Oldsmobile convertible

Wow...

2. toolman1967

toolman1967

I can sit and listen to my dad all night long, almost lost him to cancer twice in the last 10 years so I count every conversation a blessing.

3. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

that's cool Scott.

4. KaddyKimber

KaddyKimber
    from Denver, CO

I sit and talk cars with my dad, we also sit and watch the auctions on TV, and I see how opposite our tastes are, but we still enjoy the bonding. If I can ever afford to get him a '62 Olds Starfire I will. I mean I'm using some of his tools from that car on my Caddy. It's neat finding out what your parents owned and what your grand parents owned!

5. S.F.

S.F.

I always try to talk cars with my grandpa...he was driving a 48 Chevy 2 door sedan after he got out of world war 2...but he didnt have a drivers license till 1951

6. Yeah, I talk with my dad a bunch about the stupid stuff he did back in the day. He was just a kid trying to get by, and trying to kind of have a car. I owe him everything though.

It is odd how different we see cars though, considering he's taught me so much.

7. big bad john

big bad john

Your thread put a smile on my face today.......I remember when my Dad and I would talk for hours about cars and stuff he did when he was young......He pass away 20 years ago......

8. chuckles0

chuckles0

My Dad not only talked, but taught me to work on cars. I raced 1/4 midgets starting in 60'. I was 8. I worked at his shop till I was drafted.(70')..His parents died young and he was 14 raising his siblings,and driving the teacher to school,in a '27 T. He had lots of neat cars.
    I remember sweeping up brake dust and saving it ,so he could sprinkle it on aluminum flatheads, so when the track officials stuck a magnet on them, they would pass for steel. He always told me ,it is 'interpretation of the rules'. Rules said;'magnet must stick to the head'. He called them, 'little tricks'.
    'I miss you Dad'.

sorry, if I got off subject>

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011