Register now to get rid of these ads!

Take back Central AZ

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tri-Powerguy, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Any votes for the new location to meet up? What about that sketchy dark parking lot across from jack in the box? Park there and cross over the j.i.t.b. if your hungry or thirsty.

2. river1

river1

Is there a possibility of being harassed for loitering in that lot?

at least if you were in a restaurant's lot you could claim customer status.

later jim

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I don't see it as Sketchy or particularly dark, but that would work well for me!

4. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Dont know,,,JITB has a pretty small parking lot. Not much else unless you want to go to the BBQ place or I-Hop a bit further south. How about the George & Dragon?

5. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I think I mentioned to Chip about that place downtown by the marketplace. There's enough parking, cool eats and drinks all around, and its proximity to ASU suggests the possibility of nice lookin scenery... not that I've noticed or anything.

6. Nick might have a point. You guys are great and all, but there has been something missing.

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, at least unless Jessica or Judy is there, then we are cowering or covering our ears...

8. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

So downtown and no bringing sand to the beach?

9. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

Hey guys how about Dairy Queen and we can park down the side of Central were the stores next door are, just a thought let me know were you will be looks like I might not be working. Would we get kicked out if we used the corner of park centrals parking lot?

10. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

We should let Jerry be the deciding vote since he's the only one not chimed in...

11. alaska 53

alaska 53

I grew up in Phoenix. In the 60's& 70s central was the place to be for hot rods. Had a lot of fun. We parked at a tire store just a block south of Osborne on east side. I was in Phoenix couple years ago and all that is gone. Parked at the library at McDowell also.
    I wish you guys the best on putting a cruise back together.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

Alaska 53 the tire store was Firestone and also parked there around 76 and 77, that parking lot was filled Thursday Friday and Saturday that's for sure. Fun times LoL

13. I remember that store too. I was parked across from there with my GTO in the late 70's. People were coming out of that side street (headed west), at the stop sign at Central, many were doing burnouts before turing right and cruising north. We were just watching. A cop got in the same line and people toned it down but, one guy either didn't see him or forgot he was there and did a burnout right in front of the cop! Talk about getting busted big time. It is not like today where cruising is a novelty for vintage iron. Back then, it was 'kids up to no good', etc and the cops could be really rough on you. Glad it wasn't me that night back then.

I hope you can find a good place to park.
    as Tri power mentioned, there was parking on the west side just north of Camelback and south of the DQ. I always went in that place and bought a large vanilla shake. Was then, and still am an ice cream junkie. Be sure to let us know where you all end up.

14. alaska 53

alaska 53

That was fun times for sure. I remember a couple hot rods that ruled the streets then. We would all pile in our cars and find a street late night and let the big boys fight it out.

15. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

One of the big boys that started parking there and later went to the APCO lot was Billy Hazlett, 69 Mach 1 dark green 351 C tunnel ram single 4. Later on he went bigger and more cam ported heads and tunnel ram with two 4s. This would be the same car split in two pieces in Jan. 20th 1978. That was one fast car, along with Billy Halls 1967 fastback mustang 427 two 4 s and 4 speed midnight blue. There were more and they all deserve mention but it would take pages. Central was the home to a lot of fantastic cars, that's for sure.

16. alaska 53

alaska 53

I don't remember names but a few cars.
    One was a Chevy 55/56 orange 210 big block and a blue Chevy Chevelle big block sticking out the hood.

17. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

Yes there was some nice cars that's for sure. Well Guys do we have a plan were to meet, if not next Saturday I will be at the D.Q. and hopefully we can get a good showing. I am still thinking that we could hit the corner of park centrals parking lot. Let me know looking forward to get it going again.

18. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

Help me out guys what do you think, would you rather meet at McDonalds or is it fenced off?

19. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

DQ sounds pretty good right about now!!

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm still down for down town and let's MEET there. Then we go driving!

21. I like the driving part. I think that has made the little last minute cruises so fun to go to. It's never about the destination as much as it is about the journey.

22. So where is the meet up spot in downtown phx?

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

At the Public market lot, about a block north of Fillmore on the east side of Central. Across the street from Westward Ho.

24. I know where that is. The food trucks are usually there maybe once a month. And the circle k is just west of there.

25. Still each and every saturday around 7 p.m.?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  26. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

You mean the place with the covered parking and big ass PHOENIX MARKETPLACE sign? I have no idea where that is...

27. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Also we should meet at 6pm, hang for an hour, then cruise out. That way it gives everybody time to get there, figure out a plan on where to go, or folks can stick around if they want, and we don't have to be out too late. Last weeks deal had some guys out past midnight... That's way past my bedtime.

28. Last week went into the record books.

29. I sense a little sarcasm in your post there nicky.