Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Take a Check for your car???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mx6262, Jun 9, 2010.

1. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Meet them at the bank and get cash.

2. HotRodMetal

HotRodMetal
    from USA

I sold a car to a guy in Australia and used paypal. He paid the juice.

I took a cashiers check for a car shipped to wisconsin, but I waited for funds to clear.

Cash is the best rule for face to face sales in my opinion.

3. spooler41

spooler41

A number of years ago, I sold a OT car to a guy from Canada,he paid in Canadian $.
    When I computed the exchange rate, he was about $240 short, he said he was out of cash and would I take a check for the difference,well I did. GOT SCREWED the check bounced and I had no way to go after him, that was the last time I did that. Now its all cash in hand before they leave with cars or parts.

..........JACK

4. trestles126

trestles126

tell him to get a cashiers check for the ammount in your name from his bank...its like real money and gaurenteed to be in the account....well actually its not in the account its on the check...i just did this for a RPU i bought

5. chopped

chopped

The guy's too lazy to go to the bank but he expects you to ? No way.

6. uc4me

uc4me

only from deposed dictators with accounts in nigerian banks :D

7. Keep

Keep

That is what I do, asking someone to bring $5000 or more in cash is sort of stupid.

But of course no one has ever been knocked off when going to buy something...

8. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

yeah, a cashiers check.

9. mx6262

mx6262

I just shut the deal down This guy is silly, I wount say what I really think, But yes he ask if he could do this.......:eek:

10. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

I had a acheck from Wells Fargo to buy a car with, and the seller insisted on going over to a local branch so I could give him cash from it.

The bank manager said he gets about 30 fake Wells Fargo cashiers checks every month, and set up their own intranet links to check out each one. This was four years ago, and it was a very small branch in SFO.

11. (BlueOval)

(BlueOval)
    from Slo-Cal

X2:cool:

12. Labold

Labold

Depends on the person but in general, cash is king. I sold a car this spring for $34K and was paid by a check with no problems at all. I guess the only reason I took a check is that I knew the buyer. If I didn't know him I wouldn't have taken it.

13. mx6262

mx6262

I told him to use Pay pal and he started giving me this and that said he would use his brother's paypal and then it got even worse both tryed to get involved in TRYING to get my stuff!! Too bad deal's off!!! They ask if they could COME BY AND LOOK ONE MORE TIME!!!!!!!!

God and Guns watch my home, you may meet both if your not invited!!!!!

This world is getting Bad fokes.....Bad......

Thanks for all the input I didnt expect this much responce....

H.A.M.B.

Its a good thing......

14. cloned clown

cloned clown

I'm a former banker (main st. NOT wall st.) and unfortunately there is no such thing as a sure thing anymore. Technology has made counterfeiters jobs even easier, and the honest mans job more difficult!

Buyer beware....seller be sure!

15. I even told my own brother "no" to his check a few years back. I would hate to have to explain to our mom why I had to break his legs. Just a conversation that is best to avoid altogether.

16. varodder

varodder

I've taken checks from friends and also bought cars from friends with checks. No problem if you know who you are dealing with well. With strangers, go to the bank and get the transaction done there.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's why I take the buyer to the bank. As soon as that cash goes in the teller drawer, its authenticity is no longer my, or the buyer's problem.

18. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

Was was a Banker for Wells for a long time. I would get all sorts of fake checks and cashiers check as well as postal money order. Even if you call to make sure the funds are in the account the person can move them out before the check ever gets to the bank.

I took a check once. Only because it was a Wells Fargo check and I worked for the bank. If they had screwed me I could have black listed them from being able to open an account at any other bank for a few years...

Cash is king...

19. aaggie

aaggie

"In God we trust", everybody else pays cash.

20. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

If they can pay by check, they can pay by cash!

21. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I've done it, but he was my neighbor, who is rich! I once asked him why he lived in my neighborhood since he's rich. He said, "4 divorces!". His current wife likes to go to the card clubs. He gives her $5K for spending money.

22. bubba57

bubba57
    from k

X2 If they can write a check, they can go to the bank and get cash. Saves a lot of trouble.

23. Steve-Cook

Steve-Cook
    from Garner, NC

Not so many years ago I would have of course no one would have asked, now cash is king

24. STILL OLD

STILL OLD
    from tennessee

Hell, I'd want a co-signer for cash

Buzz

25. 666Irish

666Irish

I took a check for a car once a few years back... but neither the car, nor the title left my possession until the check cleared. It cleared fine, bill of sale was signed, and so was the title.

No fuss, no muss.

26. NO NO NO !!! Cash only !

27. took a check for a motorcycle a couple years ago
    told the guy I would send the title in 2 weeks

would not do that anymore
    guess its best to sell to people you are confident of sold a lot of heavy equipment and trucks and trailers to people I was familar with worked out good

28. Greg'Hel

Greg'Hel
    from Iowa

Tell em if they have the money to make the check out to cash and go to the damn bank themselves!

29. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Only a loan proceeds check after verifying the check is good with the loan officer, once a counter check and only after my bank called the other bank. Personal check HELL NO!

30. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

under certain circumstances, yes. But it won't happen very often.