Register now to get rid of these ads!

Taint my Paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Blurr, May 27, 2008.

1. The Blurr

The Blurr

I have a dumb paint question. Can I spray clear coat over singal stage paint? If not than why? Any help would be RAD!

2. There's a snappy comeback here somewhere...

3. mac762

mac762

Don't paint your taint. :) Sorry, I'm no help.

4. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

as long as it hasn't faded sure. i have cleared single stage many times with great results every time. if it is faded just spray a coat of color on it before clearing it out and wait around 45 minutes or so to let it flash before clearing it out.

5. sociallydistorted

sociallydistorted

6. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

if you are using the same paint system for the clear you can go over it if it is with in the time window

if it is out of the window you can if it is sanded and prepped for clear.

if it is a different system it will need to fully cured then sanded and scuffed before clear

7. The Blurr

The Blurr

See! I knew TAINT would get someone's attention!:D Maybe to clearify my question I am asking because I want to panel my car but I sprayed singal stage on the body. So my plan is to scuff up where I want my panel paint it shoot on some metal flake an shoot clear over whole car. Will this work?

8. Lil' Toot

Lil' Toot
    from Tulsa, OK

Yep. If the Single stage is cured out (2 weeks at least) or, if sooner than that, you are using the same paint systerm, then all you have to do is scuff it, do your paint works (preferably in base coat this time) and then clear. Once the single stage has cured, it's no different than cutting any base/clear system for graphics or what ever, then reclearing. One word of warning, sometimes the clear can cause the paint to look a little different than uncleared (single stage) areas, so you might consider this if the panel butts up to an adjacent panel you don't plan on reclearing. Usually this isn't an issue if you use a good high quality (ie. not yellowish) clear.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

paint her taint?...what?
    did i miss something:rolleyes:

10. 38zephyr

38zephyr

I've had a bunch of single stage with clear paint jobs done , with a color sand and buff - VIOLA SENORITA !! Solid colors work much better , metallics come out kind of flat looking .

11. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

If you're going to clear the whole car you need to scuff the whole car. Any spot that will have new paint on it needs to be prepped. No chance for chemical adhesion so you need mechanical. Good luck.

12. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Yes, I HATE primered taint!

13. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

It don't taste like bees wax. I'll tell ya.

14. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Hmmmmm....... :eek: