Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Taillight repair parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dennis D, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Dennis D

Dennis D

I need to find some of the contacts that go inside of the taillight socket. I have found some online, but was trying to find someplace local to get them. Looked at Standard and Dorman sites but I am not calling them by the right name to get them to come up with a part number that I can use local. Help? Thanks, D

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve bought plug in ones at Auto Zone and took them apart for parts. Actually drilled one out and used a metal plug in style with all the little fingers on them; bent 4 of the fingers to hold it in.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

stillrunners likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that the last time I fixed one I did just that, bought an inexpensive "universal" socket and robbed the innards out of it Park & Turn Signal Socket ECH LS6428 | Buy Online - NAPA Auto Parts (napaonline.com)

stillrunners likes this.

5. I've used 1/16" steel pop rivets to repair sockets. Chuck them up in a drill and reduce the flange diameter a bit, then pull out the shank. Insert wire and solder...

scotts52, stillrunners and Hnstray like this.
  6. Here's the ones I keep in stock at home. You can either use the whole unit if it fits or rob the contacts out to fix a stock housing.

Double contact pigtail
    Dorman 85801 Double Contact Pigtail
    [​IMG]

Or
    Single contact pigtail
    Dorman 85800 Single Contact Pigtail
    [​IMG]

7. Maybe you mean these. 1156_contact_wm.jpg This company sells them for like half a buck each. I needed some last year and split a package of 50 or 100 with a friend that was also rewiring a vehicle. If you search you can find them a fair bit cheaper, I've switched computers and I couldn't find where I got the ones I used.

8. brando1956

brando1956

NAPA/Echlin has an online catalog in pdf form. Just type in Echlin in google and there is a link. Haven't downloaded it but we used to have an Echlin catalog called " buyer's guide" that showed illustrations and specs on all parts. Category to look in back then was "light sockets and connectors." You also might check with Del City Wire's website. They have a ton of wiring stuff at very competitive prices. Many times these small parts aren't listed in the application guides but if you go through the pictures and specs you can find a match. If you find a part number your local NAPA should be able to order if they don't have.

9. Pretty near all the automotive superstores have universal parts hanging on the wall for that sort of repair. it seems like there is a rack called "help" or something like it in most of them. NAPA, O'Reilly's, Autozone.

Ya just got to go down there and look.

10. Dennis D

Dennis D

Zackly!

11. Dennis D

Dennis D

Thanks to all again for the reply's. I had found some online and ordered them, but was in a hurry and was hoping to find some local. I had some from Standard Automotive, but I'll be damned if I can find them. Anyhow, this is to repair an old dirt bike and was wanting to keep the original harness and just repair it. On a whim I called the dealer and he had the part in stock I needed. Didn't charge me extra for the 51 years of dust on the bag either! D