Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Taft Stadium,OKC --COUPES ON DIRT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brian26, Dec 7, 2009.

1. I used to not believe people when they'd tell me that they used to run stock cars and sprint cars in that stadium. It looks so small.

<iframe width="425" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/sv?cbp=12,273.78,,0,2.47&amp;cbll=35.49574,-97.565682&amp;panoid=&amp;v=1&amp;hl=en&amp;gl=us"></iframe><br /><small>View Larger Map</small>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. It was an absolute no-no to touch the infield, a temporary suspension the first time and a MUCH longer one the 2nd time.

3. I was in that 'hood on Friday. The stadium and the school are still the coolest looking deco buildings in the area. NW Classen high school, a great mid-century design, is just north of there. I couldn't imagine living next door to that in it's heyday. I could hear the sprint cars at the fairgrounds from my house (About 3 mi away, as the crow flies).

4. Before and during the coupes era, midgets held a lot of races there, Like this one.

[​IMG]