Register now to get rid of these ads!

tad o/t, stude avanti engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plan9, Sep 13, 2003.

1. plan9

plan9

was reading the avanti engine is a supercharged 289ci... was that a ford 289? how rare are these setups? thanks

2. not a Ford motor.............as rare as any thing else that came on a hi-po stude.....................

CT.

3. Ask Jake, drgnwgn289, he runs a supercharged S2D motor in his 53 Stude wagon. It's his daily driver too.

TZ

4. Zeke

Zeke

5. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

A genuine stude set up is pretty rare and pricey. The repopped set up is still pricey, but not rare. It depends if you want to go with the Lark/Hawk set up or the Avanti set up. Mine is like the Avanti, with the supercharger on the side, the offset water pump, alternator on top and the air box. All my parts are repops and all aluminium, where as the originals were iron. With the Lark/Hawk set up, the supercharger sits right in the middle of the motor, directly over the water pump and it uses a two barrel with an air box or a sealed 4 barrel with a bonnet. I guess my point is, all the shit is out there...you just have to look a little harder than you would for 350/350 combo.

6. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There are a couple pics of my set up...hope that gives you sort of an idea
    One of the coolest things about it is...its all 1963 technology...thats pretty old

7. metalshapes

metalshapes

I have a Lark supercharger bracket and a 2Bbl box left over after putting the mcCulloch on my roadster if anybody is interested

8. plan9

plan9

right on guys, esp. drgnwgn289.. beautiful stude! i was asking because my uncle got a supercharged avanti back when he use to work there... dont think he is doing anything with it, figured it would make a cool rod motor... ugly ass design, but if they are rare, would rather keep it with the car. thanks for the info!

9. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

You should do some checking up on it, there is a very very slim chance that is could be an R-3. Studebaker didn't keep really good records on the cars they produced and although most of the factory R-3s are accounted for, many dealerships would order R-3 motors and put them in R-1 or R-2 cars. I agree that those cars aren't the prettiest thing that ever came out of a stude factory, but a stock R-3 Avanti would run like 186 mph at B-ville, and I know of a stock R-3 Lark that dips into the 12s on a regular basis.