Register now to get rid of these ads!

T700R4 to Cadillac 365 Engine how is it done???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Sep 6, 2011.

1. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am planning to use a T700R4 tranny with a 365 Caddy engine I have found and just did not want to have to re-invent the wheel if somebody has done it before.

I am mostly curious to know about flex plate and starter motor choices...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  2. Noland

Noland

wilcap makes an adapter, I would think its a custom flexplate and the starter is a new style gear reduced dodge unit.
    http://www.wilcap.com/webdoc8.html
    also do a search this comes up alot.

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Has anybody dealt with this company, are they reliable and what are the prices like??? Does their stuff fit correctly???

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  4. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

wilcap has been around for years....good stuff and you will pay for quality..

5. What's a T700? If you mean a 700R4, looking for it by that designation will get you the info a lot faster.

6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Correction made, can you add anything of technical value.

7. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Ive been caught with these adapter guys before that is why I am asking up front on the forum.
    Dont want to end up like a Last Refuge victim.

8. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

you can't go wrong with wilcap. I'm part of the choir here. however, speedway has basically the same thing a little cheaper, but you get what you pay for IMO. Pat's alway's there to answer questions and help diagnose any issues--can't beat the customer service.

9. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Bump, any more thoughts or ideas...
    Anybody actually done this adaption???

10. Noland

Noland

I have a wilcap adapter on my cadillac 390. although it is for a chevy 4 speed. It works really well. I did run into a few problems when installing the bolts to hold the flywheel were too long and the flywheel was a really tight fit,so tight it was hard to get on to the crank. no other complaints works well and like stated you pay for quality.

11. GaryM

GaryM

12. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really studied Squeak Bell's Cadillac adapter at the LARS. It appears to be a top shelf item in all respects. I cannot endorse Bendtsen's products! Regards, Ron

13. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I utilized a Bendsten's adapter for a 365" Caddy to a Chevy 4 speed. Everything fit like a glove. I'm confident you'll have the same great results from Wilcap.

14. Abomination

Abomination

15. I put a Wilcap behind a 60 390 and it fit like a glove, all went well except that 60 thru 62 390s have a side mount oil filter aft of the starter that does not clear the chevy trans bellhousing. I cut a small crescent shape out of the bell housing and it worked fine without weakening the trans. Called Pat and told him of it, sent him pics, their blocks did not have that type of oil filter, theirs were the head mount type so wasn't a problem. Pat said he was going to look at developing a remote oil filter adaptor for that purpose, don't know where he is at on that but will ask him if I see him at CHRR next weekend. I'm sure he will be there.

16. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

17. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Do you have a link to any web page Sqeak has advertising this adapter???

18. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

here's a wilcap behind my flathead..700r4 tranny, came with all the hardward, custom flexplate...uses a Mopar gear-drive starter.

Attached Files:

20. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I have a wilcap adapter behind my Caddy 390. It was nice, easy to install, came with the flexplate and all hardware. I use a mopar starter. I highly endorse wilcap...

21. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

It turns out the Sqeak Bell adapter is for a manual tranny, but worth recognising as a decent quality option which may assist somebody else wanting to match such a tranny to a 365 engine.

Thanks seabeecmc for your help.

22. I like Bendtsen's adapter for 331-390 Caddy because you can use Chevy flex plates and flywheels.

23. I would be willing to bet Sqeak's adapter is equal, if not better.

24. bfinch56

bfinch56

How about running a Cad 365 with either a 5 or even 6 speed manual? Does such adapter exist? Has anyone done this or seen it done? I think it would be sweeeeet!! :D Figured this was the right thread to ask...

25. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I ordered mine from Bendtsen's in the end.
    Easy decision, since Wilcap still has not replied to my email over 3 weeks ago.
    Bendtsen's do reply to emails and also supply all that is needed to complete the job.
    More when it is fitted I guess...

26. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I'm using a vintage crager adapter to ford 4 speed (toploader) and I've since purchased an adapter to go from the 4 speed to 5 speed. not the cleanest way to get a 5th gear, but it works at minimal cost and re-engineering. I'll let you know. will probably be installing it this winter.

27. bfinch56

bfinch56

Wow. That sounds crazy. I know about that Cragar Adapter, I actually saw one on ebay recently (beautiful piece) but, not wanting a 4spd, passed on it.. I would have never imagined going from adapter to adapter to trans. Very interesting. Do keep us posted!