Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical T5 slip yoke length

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by YBNormal, Jun 13, 2020.

1. YBNormal

YBNormal
    from Oklahoma

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere but I searched and didn’t find it. I’m putting a T5 in my AV8 with 9”. Question is how long should the slip yoke be? I have a yoke that probably came from a TH350 which doesn’t slide into the tail shaft very far. Anyone know how long the yoke sleeve should be for the T5?
    Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I leave it up to the driveshaft shop. I tell them the length from the end of the output shaft to the center of the rear yoke and that I am using an Chevrolet T5. I've had no problems to date and they've probably done a dozen or more shafts for me.

3. YBNormal

YBNormal
    from Oklahoma

I did the same thinking that they would know what I needed. I gave them the dimension from the end of the output and the dimension from the end of the tailhousing. Appears he built the shaft with the tube cut where the yoke is really close to the case. Problem seems to be the yoke sleeve only goes in the case a couple of inches. This is my first rodeo with a T5 and I have no idea how far the yoke is supposed to go into the case. It seems to bottom out within a couple of inches which doesn’t seem right. I would have thought there would be more engagement with the shaft. Thanks for the message.

4. YBNormal

YBNormal
    from Oklahoma

Anyone out there have a stock yoke they know came from a T5 they could measure for me? Don’t know if it matters but mine has the NWC S10 Chevy tailhousing.

5. WC T5 ,the yoke in mine is ,
    6.5” from centre of uni joint cap to the end of the sleeve,
    5” from end of sleeve to the end of the machined surface and all 5” can engage into the rear housing , It should then slip in around 3/4 of that when I’d think, others can correct me on that though.

6. YBNormal

YBNormal
    from Oklahoma

That confirms I certainly have a problem. When I stab the yoke on the shaft it comes to a hard stop after only about an inch. The yoke sleeve has an OD of 1-1/2” which matches the output seal. Which makes me believe the yoke is the correct one for the T5. Anybody have any idea why the yoke doesn’t fully engage?

7. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That sounds like it is hung up on the tail shaft bushing that keeps the slip yoke centered. It is about an inch inside the housing.

8. Just check up the bore of your yoke that there is nothing wrong in there, if all good there, then it has to be your tail housing bush area.
    There are more informed guys on here than me, are there different yoke shaft ODs?
    2 different bush IDs maybe?

9. After reading the first post, is the turbo yoke the same specs as a T5 yoke?

10. Just looking at Denny’s driveshafts spec sheets and there’s a 1350 series short barrel length yoke that is only 3 5/8” in the sleeve (barrel), where mine is 5” in that area.
    Look it up online.
    Not saying that’s gonna fix it as it’s a mystery as yours only goes in so far?

11. YBNormal

YBNormal
    from Oklahoma

Mine is the short 3-5/8 machined section you referenced. The 350 yoke and T5 are “supposed” to be the same spec. I think you’re on the right track regarding the bushing. Now to explore the cure to that problem.

12. bobscogin

bobscogin

Has the tailshaft bushing been changed? I put a new bushing in mine and had to hone the ID. My new yoke wouldn't slip in.
    Bob

13. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, you have a tail shaft bushing issue.

I have a NWC T5 in my '54 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup. My race shop buddy says I need a 5" slip yoke for the application and to slide it all the way in and when it stops back it out 1 1/2" and measure from there.