Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical T10+ O/D

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4 pedals, Jul 16, 2014.

1. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I read an article, probably 10 years ago now, about how to adapt the overdrive from a 3speed manual to a T10 trans. I can't find it now for the life of me. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

As I recall it was a fairly simple process that only required welding one tab on the main shaft, but what and where, I don't remember.

Thanks,

Devin

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That may be possible....the T-10 is based on the T-85. But I recall this being done with Saginaw transmissions....do not remember a Warner conversion.

I think there is at least one thread here on the HAMB detailing the Saginaw setup.
    The hardest part, I think, is finding the donor Saginaw 3 spd/OD trans.

3. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I think you're right. When I searched Saginaw with overdrive the article I remembered came up.

Thanks,

Devin

4. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

late 50's early 60's there was an article on this in hot rod mag.ill see if i can find it

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Saginaw swap for sure.
    On a T-10, they converted the T-85 case to a four speed, and reverse gear moved into the tail housing (look at the lever on trans.)
    Thus, you need a tailhousing with complex casting to carry the reverse stuff. On the Saginaw, case was also same as a related 3 speed but they got all the gears inside, so tailhousing was just a tailhousing and could be swapped for the OD one without any really complicated changes.
    On the T-10...Tom Beatty once manufactured a specially cast housing to allow installation of an overdrive conversion. I think you can find Jimmy Hoffa more easily than one of those...

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Bruce neat me too it, but yes, Tom Beatty did make them. It's in a '62 or '63 Hot Rod magazine somewhere. I just had mine all out last week looking for some other information, if I see it again in the next day or two I'll scan and post.

7. Advance adaptors used to make this (as well as other T10-to-something adaptors) 'back in the day', IIRC you needed a new main shaft as well as the adaptor plate.