Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical T10 4-Speed Hurst Shifter Help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocket's Hot Rod Garage, Mar 31, 2017.

1. I've got a somewhat un-identified Borg Warner T 10 4Speed & am needing some help figuring out what Hurst shifter would work (called Hurst, they don't know). The date code on the transmission is 12-29-65 It's an iron case with an aluminum tail shaft. What I'm hoping an expert can tell me is what Hurst designation should I use in getting a shifter? (example: (410)). Posted picture of the chart. As always thanks for your help.... T10 tail shaft.jpg T10 Trans.jpg IMG_2992.JPG IMG_3003.JPG IMG_3005.JPG IMG_3006.JPG Hurst Trans ID sheet.jpg

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

First off, I do think the 410 in that photo is the correct ID for this transmission.
    Not Chevy as the last T-10 (first series), was 1963 for the most part when Muncies came on the scene.
    To my knowledge, the last Pontiacs to use the T-10 was 1965 models and I think just the big cars, and I (think) they used a longer tailhousing than yours.
    The GS on the tailhousing is Buick from what I've read (I'm no Buick expert).
    Another giveaway is the date code on the main case, late 65 foundry date means it was destined for the 1966 model year.
    The tailhousing bolt patterns for shifter mounting will dictate which Hurst mounting kit applies, in this case two patterns many times the use of a console will require specific length shift arms and shifter handles.
    Most later Hurst shifters had handles that unbolt and in most hotrods this part is kind of wide open compared to actual applications.
    Doesn't directly answer your question but may help point you in the right direction.

Edit

In the end this may be for a 66 Buick Skylark, a bit rare if that's the case.

Some examples here.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/Buick-GS-Car-Truck-Gear-Shifters/33736/bn_1336440/i.html

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All my T-10's had Hurst shifters made up of swap meet parts. Unless you a worried about where it comes up on the tunnel with that many options (4) it should be easy. Only the early ones had welded sticks so any bolt on stick one will work and then put where you want. Good Luck.

5. This is the currant shifter that needs changing. It hits the bench seat.
    Hurst Shifter.JPG

6. I think that's the rout I'm headed....
    Hurst Base.jpg
    I've got a base like the one above for another project in the shop. I'm thinking I'll come up with another & start with that. Then just have to find the right dang stick to clear

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Works now.
    To save yourself some grief and wasted time and shipping costs I'd recommend actually talking to a "human" as to which installation kit fits your transmission regardless of who you buy it from. I'd check with customer service at Jegs or Summit.
    Having two sets of bolts holes for shifter mount is great but make sure when using the rearmost holes that the shift handle will clear a bench seat.
    Even with bucket seats a comfortable shifter position matters greatly.

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Look at the Hurst bolt on handle for 55-57 Chevy with bench seat. Bought one new for my 57 in 1971 for my T-10 but don't recall if it had a bolt on stick. Hurst is famous for the shape of that shift handle, referred to as a "C" shifter.

[​IMG]

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have one of those 55-57 Hurst's in my stash. It is a welded one. They were a God send after heating and bending the stock Chevrolets from the 60's...

10. My buddy and I made one out of round stock to clear bench in his 56 wagon. Not as pretty, but worked.

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The welded on "Tri-Five" Chevrolet Hurst tower assembly is the only one that will work with a stock bench seat. The bolt on tower/stick "looks" like it would fit, but it does't; it hits the lower front edge of the seat unless the seat is slid all the way back. Ask me how I know; if anyone wants to buy a bolt on "C" stick, I have a brand new one for cheap! If you compare them side by side, you'll see the welded on stick is lower than where the bolt on stick bolts on. A bit of an expensive lesson learned the hard way, and I finally just decided to just keep the 69 Chevelle SS bucket seats in my 56 Sedan Delivery. Same reason I have a beautiful 63 Biscayne 4 door sedan front seat. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.