Register now to get rid of these ads!

Swisted Knot Wheel Brush from Hell!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickbybirth, Apr 19, 2011.

1. buickbybirth

buickbybirth

Last night after a few hours behind the side grinder I took a bath and went to bed. About three hours later I woke up with a terrible pain about two inches from my hair line. Reaching up to rub it I sent a shock wave of pain seemingly into my skull as something poked my finger. To my suprise I had a wire buried about a 1/4 inch in my scalp from the side grinder wheel. I couldn't pull it out with my finger so I had to get some pliars. I never felt that darn thing hit me in the head.

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

3. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

yes,the wire hit part of his brain....he`ll never be able to spell right again

4. F&J

F&J

Touche' :D

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I cut a key today.....early. About noonish I felt a poke in my chest. A wire from the buffer lodged itself in my shirt pocket. It bled! I hate wire brushes!

6. happens to me after running the 4" grinder with a cup brush. i have pulled wires out of my arm, legs and stomach. wear a face shield

7. edweird

edweird

oh, how well i feel your pain!!! its funny cause i had damn near the same thing happen last week after wire brushing some rims. them little boogers will will dig right in.

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats on surviving the operation.

Maybe should've left it in...that kind of stuff is stylish these days...

9. hamb piercings... very stylish

10. I did the same thing when I used a 4" cup brush on my A pickup. Changed clothes, left to come home, and here's this pain above my knee, I had to go into the john because I couldn't roll the pants leg up that far and there's a wire bristle driven into my leg.

I switched to a 3" brush and it seems to throw a lot less bristles off. Chalked it up to buying it at Harbor Freight, but maybe not?

Always wear safety glasses running these things, you sure as fuck don't want to catch one in the eye.

11. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Thick coveralls, safety glasses AND a face shield.
    You can't have too much protection from those nasty little buggers!

12. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Ouch! I've pulled those things out of various places off my body but I've never had one stick in to the point I needed a pliers!

13. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I caught one in the leg once... I felt something poking me, like a sliver that gets stuck in the fabric of your jeans or on the inside of your sock.
    I dropped my jeans, and there was a little 1/16-inch piece of wire stuck on my upper thigh. I thought it was just sticking lightly into the skin. Went to brush it off with my finger, and a quarter-size area on my leg moved when I moved the wire.
    "What the????"
    Grabbed onto it and proceeded to pull a couple-inch long wire out of my leg.
    Damn good thing it didn't hit a little lower, or I might have had a "Prince Albert"!

Double-up on a face shield and safety glasses for sure when using high-speed wire wheels.

-Brad

14. RodStRace

RodStRace

Just one more been there, threw away the shirt;
    When done sweep the area good! They aren't fun to kneel on or lay on either!
    I tend to toss rags that have them inbedded too.

15. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Had a few myself and a couple probably deeper than 1/4" for sure, can go right through normal fabric. And yes, you oddly don't seem to feel them when they go in. After one or 2 of those, you seriously understand why you need to keep at least some good glasses on if not a full face shield. Had one deep in my cheek once and suddenly got an image of that being my eye instead - lucky reminder.

16. Why do you guys even use those POS's!?!?!?! Modern 3M abrasives are much better AND safer!

17. squirrel

squirrel

that's what I was gonna ask. I've never been stuck, because I don't use them.

18. I have one buried in my belly just under the skin.
    Didn't know anything about it until I got an MRI a few years ago. Drove the MRI guy crazy!

19. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

everybody post your boo boos

20. Rem

Rem

No pain, no gain! :)

Wire brushes are great, but it definitely pays to use quality ones. Nothing better than a 6" brush on a bench grinder for cleaning up something like an early Ford perch bolt.

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Once while polishing crud with a wire wheel I stuck out my tongue to lick my lips...Mmmmm, rust, you know...
    Sudden pain and I couldn't get my tongue back into my mouth!! Staggered upstairs to a mirror and found an inch and a half bristle through my tongue. Extracted it with filthy crud and rust covered fingers...not much actual injury, but gave me the willies.
    Bleahhh!

22. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but sometimes I feel like being stupid and not knowing any better isn't all it is chalked up to be.

23. Safety glasses and or goggles aren't enough, need face shield too. Probably no body around for 50 yards for good measure.

http://m.emj.bmj.com/content/25/6/385.abstract

Not my eyes, but you get the picture, don't let it be you. dude had eye protection in place.
    [​IMG]

24. Mutt

Mutt

"A wire from the buffer lodged itself in my shirt pocket. It bled!"

I would be vewwy, vewwy concerned about a shirt pocket that bled....

Or for that matter, a wire that bled....:eek::D

Mutt

25. 8flat

8flat

I'd worry about one skewering my nutsack......can you imagine?

26. I try NOT to think about your nutsack! BTW, when you guys coming to town next?

27. 8flat

8flat

HAHAHAHA

Heck, I dunno, but we'd love to get down there again. You guys ever coming up to Glacier Park?

28. Never thought of it, might be a good trip next year.

29. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Damn, this thread is freaking me out. Just tossed all my wire wheels in the metal scrap pile!

30. Differnt tools for different jobs, sometimes you need a wire wheel.
    I wash my garage work clothes separate of my daily wear items.
    I reached into the dryer last week and was poked by a wire from the brush.
    Had to use a magnafing glass to see it and twezzers to remove it.