Register now to get rid of these ads!

Swapping a SBC for a SBM?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RodStRace, Nov 3, 2008.

1. RodStRace

RodStRace

I'm considering a Mopar rod with a small block chevy and TH350 already installed.
    Has anyone swapped one of these out and stuffed in a small block mopar/727?
    I realize that it's probably just a couple mounts, maybe a crossmember, weld in some new head pipes and change the front of the driveshaft. Oh, and the starter is on the other side (battery cable and wiring). Radiator looks like it will line up (center top, passenger lower).
    However, I wonder if there is a motor mount that will line up the same to the frame mounts, If the x member will work, etc.
    I've got projects, I don't want to turn this into another, but I also don't want a SBC. The car is a good deal, otherwise I wouldn't even bother. I guess the smartest thing would be to weld the hood shut, but I'm just not a SBC guy....

BTW, the car is 1600 miles away, so I can't just pull out the tape measure and answer my own dumb question.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  2. coolcruiserfj40

coolcruiserfj40

what kinda car is it in

3. RodStRace

RodStRace

48 Plymouth.
    I've got a 40 with a mopar in it (not done), so I know what it takes to fit one. See picture, I outlined the mounts in Red. I'm just wondering if the regular swap mounts end up in the same location, if the trans mount is similar, and if the motor mount to trans mount distance is roughly similar.
    The TH350 is 21 5/8 from the front to the centerline of the mount, a 727 is 21.
    http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/trans_dims.asp
    Overall, the SBC is 28.38 long, the SBM is 29.50
    http://www.carnut.com/specs/engdim.html
    I don't have the width of the mounts on the '48 (admittedly a WAG, since it's a swap), or the length from the mounts to the back of the motor.
    I know this is a dumb question, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into before buying the car. This will probably take someone who has already busted knuckles doing this, and with the swap already done and the seller not very informative, the info could be completely off. It's only a matter of about 2 inches overall, but that could be a make or break 2 inches...

I guess this post will bump me back to newbie, or all the SBC guys will hate me even more...:(

Attached Files: