Register now to get rid of these ads!

Swapping a ford-o-matic for a c4 in my falcon...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by madscience, Aug 14, 2011.

1. madscience

madscience
    from Caro, MI

i'm looking to swap a 1967(?) c4 trans in place of my ford-o-matic air cooled two speed in my 1964 ford falcon. the trans was behind the 200 six engine that i have installed in the car when i pulled the motor from the 'stang, so i know it will bolt up to the motor. has anyone done this swap? will i need to have any driveshaft work done? will the yoke from the fordomatic work in the c4? anything i need to know about linkages and such? any tech info anyone could throw my way would be much help! my fordo seems to be on it's way out, and the car is my DD, so i need to start on this as soon as possible.

Thanks
    -Josh

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dearborn Classics sells a shift Quadrant for your column selector to go from a 2 speed to a 3 speed as your C-4. That will solve part of your shift linkage swap.

3. madscience

madscience
    from Caro, MI

thank you marty.

does anyone out there know if i can use the ford-o-matic yoke?

4. Mark T

Mark T

Try the Ford-0-Matic yoke, if it doesn't fit find one from an early C-4.
    Ford only made about 10 billion C-4's.

5. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Most C4 yokes are 24 spline. There is a 26 spline that was one year only 1970

If you are having problems with the trans mount there is a guy selling Ford-o matic to C4 cross member for the 62 to 64 Falcons. Hes on Evel bay.

6. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

from my past experience, the ford-o and c-4 are diff. I could easiely be wrong. I have the c-4 bellhousing ,converter, and flex plate for a 80 fairmont. Its yours for the shipping if it will work. You won't beleive the performance increase going from a 2 speed to a 3 speed.jim.

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Try falconparts.com for the trans mount 69.95 and it literally was on my door step as I hung up the phone! (Well, slightly exagerated...) I am putting a C/4 into the girlfriends '62 wagon that was a three speed, and the drive shaft fits just fine. It's been twenty years since I did the Ford O to C/4 in my '62 sportsroof, and I can't remember if the drivesaft fit as is, but it looks like a manual trans will and they're common. Anthor thing to think about is to grab the accelerator pedal out of a '65 Falcon or '65 '66 mustang,, because it has an extra arm on the drivers side that makes it super easy to hook up the kick down on these cars. I don't believe my Ford O Matic car had that originally.

8. madscience

madscience
    from Caro, MI

thanks gentlemen! I'll let you know how everything goes after i start the swap :)

-Josh

9. madscience

madscience
    from Caro, MI

i have a 66 mustang parts car, let's hope it's still there.