Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Swap meet economics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tikistan, Nov 8, 2010.

1. tikistan

tikistan

A friend of mine and I went to the swap meet in Long Beach this weekend, I noticed lighter traffic than normal,a bunch of empty spots where vendors usualy were. I know money is tight for most of us. But For $60 bucks I got Transportation, a fun day with my pal, lunch, a new grille for my truck and thousands of dollars worth of information and contacts.

So if we all hit our local auto swap meets with a couple of bucks, we can give our own economic boost to our Hot rod economy. And maybe start finishing those projects most of have that are missing those rare parts that are probably coming off collectors shelves in order to make ends meet. Just a thought.

2. big creep

big creep

you have to remember our cars are a luxury, work is hard to come by these days! im lucky if i get to work two or three days a week! time are tough!

3. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

That is what swaps are all about and always have been. I agree go even if you don't need anything. Someone once asked me why I go when I don't need anything. I thought a minute and responded "I just like being around the stuff"
    Gary

4. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

I was at the same meet on Sunday and agree that there were more unsold spaces. The threat of rain may have slowed down guys not willing to take the risk that they would be wasteing their time even more. It is not easy to get ready to sell if you're pulling down treasured parts to feed back into the system. I also got a lot of pushback from the buyers that wanted me to donate my best parts to their project. The economic pressure continues and it is a great time to be a buyer. I usually do well with the foreign buyers that are filling a container to take back, and this Sunday was even more so in that respect. Still am looking for a nice F1 crossmember. Tough thing is not being able to sell and buy at the same time, but there is such a time as prime time that is about a half hour after the gate opens to about 9:00AM. I get a second wave at 11:00AM from guys circling back finding my offerings either the cheapest or best quality. Love these events: Fred A

5. wrayeugene49

wrayeugene49
    from eugene,or

i agree with rebel.....I go to see familiar faces and be around car people and their stuff......we have one coming up a week from saturday.....I hope to go sell and enjoy my truck for a day...

6. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I run a swap meet here in Georgia (NE Georgia Swap Meet).

To my way of thinking, it's a great place to meet up with your buddies, it's a great place to talk with guys and get leads on cars and parts, figure out how stuff works together, gather new information, and maybe find something for your car that's pennies on the dollar compared to what you'd have to buy new for.

I'm going to Moultrie this month, and I don't really need anything. Going to hang out with my friends, and see what I can learn. And maybe I'll find something I gotta have. But probably not.

-Brad

7. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I try to go to as many swap meets as possible , even if I don't need anything at that time . I just enjoy looking at all the stuff and talking with people about the stuff there or maybe their projects they are working on .
    Now on the other hand , with bad weather maybe in the forecast and how tight things are today , I would have passed up a chance to sell something too . It's hard to spend money and time to take a chance on the weather .

Retro Jim

8. It's just like when you go to the old-car junkyard. Always buy something, even if you don't need it and it's priced at just what it's worth, if you want the place to be there the next time you need something.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, foot traffic lite at all recent swaps I have been to for buying or selling. this time of year slows things down, but economy on everyone's mind. I now buy what I need, not just stuff that looks cool to have sitting around my place. been selling that "cool" stuff recently.

10. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Was at Lebanon Valley swap yesterday.Cold and windy,lots of vendors,good crowd.Bought a couple things I don"t really need and missed a couple that I came back for.You would think after 40 years I would learn to grab it now because it is usually gone later. Like most,short of money and work but it's a good day out and always worth some bullshit and laughs.

11. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Around here, most swaps are done for the year, except for on almost 120 miles away.
    My truck gets about 10 mpg, most swaps are at least 50 miles away. That's 10 gal of $3 gas to make the round trip, $30. Then there is the admission price, $7, there they tack on parking $3-$5 to as much as $10. A big swap will require at least a drink @ $3 and maybe a cheeseburger @ $5.

With the cheapest parking, and no food or drink I'm into the swap for $40 if I don't buy anything. Nothing sucks more then going to a swap when you don't need anything and don't have any money to buy anything anyway. I'm self employed. Right now, business is just barely paying the bills. If there is nothing I need at the time, I'm a lot farther keeping my money, and staying home. I can go over to my buddy's place and visit with him and have more fun then going to a swap without money to spend.

Now, if things were busy at work or I needed something I can only get at the swap, I probably would have a different view.

I quit dragging stuff to try selling at swap meets many years ago. The expense, amount of work, and hassle of trying to make a few bucks selling stuff made it all not worth while. Gene

12. tikistan

tikistan

big creep, I consider my car much more than a luxury.It is right up there with food and water in my life, Ha Ha!. Good luck with scoring some more work.

Thanks for all the comments, Good insight on the subject I think is vital to our Hot rod history.

13. HotRod33

HotRod33

I am going to a swap meet this coming sunday........ No I really don't need anything but thats not the point...... you never know what you will find or who you will see............

14. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I'd rather go to one swap a year and blow $50 on "entertainment" than go to 1 movie...least the swap will last more than an hour and a half....and will typically be way more fun...

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

This will turn into a great thread I'm sure. I've bought and sold Pre War car parts for close to 50 years now. The Sunday CSRA swap was one of the best, place was packed, wall to wall people and sold out spaces. Found one item I need for my Roadster, the rest were items I bought to flip. Helps to know what collector car parts at a Hot Rod swapmeet, will help fund my roadster and buy fuel oil this winter. ==== Just read the other replies, YES, meeting old friends is a major reason to go to a swap meet. I took my wife along to the CRSA swap for the first time and she loved it, made two trips back to the van with stuff she bought, I had three cart loads. Sure the econemy is bad but events like this takes your mind off it, buying stuff helps others and keeps the hobby going.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  16. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

People just don't get that the "economy" needs people to spend money in order for it to get better. Don't spend and you are just adding to the problem. Swap meets are a dying breed. Vendor count down, buyers down, etc etc due to the internet. If you don't go out and try to support your local meets, they may not be there anymore for anyone to enjoy.

17. neverwinter

neverwinter

i enjoy going to car and bike swaps. i am trying to learn more about the interchangeability of car parts and see how different things are incorporated. plus its just a great way to drive my car, hang outside, maybe find some cool bits, and just get inspired. We have a pretty good - in my opinion anyway-up in Amherst NH every sunday from may to oct i think. My dad literally lives across the street so i have parking and parts storage lol!

As far as economics goes, i have no idea what the global impact is. But to the guy who schlepped a bunch of stuff, the $50 fender helps him out. At the same time some of these guys are morons. A guy was selling a 60-something buick with a 401 nailhead. Cool car, wanted 4900 for it. I asked him if he had any nailheads to sell in addition to his car, and he said nope, buy this one as the motor and trans alone are worth $7500. I thanked him for his time and moved along. I've seen at bike swaps you have 2 ends of the pricing spectrum - guys who know what their stuff is worth and price it accordingly, and those who ask for the moon for every "rare" piece they have. I have a 78 harley ironhead i am trying to sell for 2k to finance the Buick 55, but its snot selling right now. Now prob. But then i see the same bike being listed at 4500 as a classic. I guess people can buy and sell as they please - i just thought swaps were supposed to be where people who were part of the "scene" could go to get good deals, not where fly by nighters could try and pass off junk or chinese parts at 95% of dealer retail? sorry for rant.

18. 1320/150

1320/150

Im 35 now and have been going to the portland swap for 30 of those years. The first 11 were with my father and uncle. My goal this year was to go to as many new swap meets i could find, This year I went to a total of 7 swap meets. Both of my cars require nothing from swap meets. I have a 67 chevelle that needs a new motor (for which there is nothing for me at a swap meet) and my 57 150 ( I pretty much only need some chrome).Bottom line both my cars only need new parts at this point,but I still make it to every swap meet I can!!! I more or less look for cool shop neon and other crap i don't need. If you add that to ebay and craigslist you end up with pretty much anything you need....(want)!!! I consider swap meets like speed shops,you gotta use them at least a little or they will go by by!!!

19. pinman 39

pinman 39

I've been entertaining people at swap meets for 25 years and have always enjoyed it.It seems that in the last 5 years swap meets have become more of a "Social Event"
    than anything else .The bulk of the buying is done either at set up or very early in the day.So most one day swaps are done early afternoon .Its very hard for a vendor to want to go to something that only lasts half a day. I just acquired a wheel vintage wheel collection to liquidate and am having trouble deciding weather to haul it to a swap meet next weekend next weekend or just list it here !It sucks on both sides right now I am using a Mad Money hobby to pay my bills and dying a slow death right along with everybody else .

They Promissed us change and all I have left in my pocket is lint .

20. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Swap Meet in Grayslake Illinois last Sunday

Admission to swap meet: $8.00
    Hot dog purchased for breakfast: $3.00
    Can of pepsi purchased : $1.00
    Day spent with a bunch of greasy thieves attempting to sell junk at gold bullion prices:
    "PRICELESS"

21. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Brad 54 and others, come to the perry ga swap meet this w/e 12/13 nov . 5 bucks to get in, no parking fee and tons of great parts. saw 2 28/29 roadster cowls in april, a hat injection, several blocks, and buick drums, all priced right.

22. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I decided not to participate in the recent recession. I keep doing what I do. Spend your money for what you need. If everyone turns loose of a little money we will get this wagon rolling again, then the gooberment can brag on how they fixed it.
    I look for the guys who are cleaning out their garages, they have the best deals. When I sell at the meet, I price to sell, not to take home. Too many people want gold for rust and the same people have the same shit every time I see them.

23. Muttley

Muttley

You have to have it to spend it.............unless you are the Government.

24. tikistan

tikistan

Well, I sure hope the swap meets can pick up steam across America. Internet has taken enough businesses out of the fabric of our Nation. I wonder if it is the same story in other Countries. Do Foreign buyers still visit here as much? I know in Southern California the Foriegn buyers were very light.

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

being optimistic that someone will want my parts so I can buy what I need sending in pre-registration form for the Swap Meet in Turlock, CA - Nov 21st

26. Beebeebobby

Beebeebobby
    from Webb City

Went to a swapmeet in Springdale Arkansas...Big crowd...not much room to park across at the park. Much dinaro for grilled dogs etc...lots of interesting stuff...Must be Route 66 connection to Hotrods. Not a complaint except from the lady who forgot her umbrella in the hot sun.

27. I've never been to a swap meet for car parts but now I have the '54 Customline and I will be at the next one in San Diego.

28. Fenders

Fenders

You never know what you need until you see it at a swap meet.

29. Fenders

Fenders

Amherst NH rocks ! Last Sunday of the month in the summer (But I see the first one next yr is the FIRST and last Sundays in May, then last Sundays...).

Park 1/2 mile south at Hollis for $1 and walk to the flea, many do ...
    Bring a sammich and a Coke and avoid the lines and prices....

30. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

The last Turlock I went to I came home with lots of things. Didn't spend much, maybe $80 total not including the entrance fee...

At the Stockton swap I found nothing I wanted so I bought nothing but had fun anyways...

At the Cal Auto Musuem swap we came home with a pedal car for my kid and a couple other little knick knacks.

I'm buying... If you got what I want...