Register now to get rid of these ads!

Swamp coolers, do they work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldblue53, Jul 17, 2011.

1. oldblue53

oldblue53

I've been thinking for quite some time about purchasing a swamp cooler for my 53. I've seen window mount and under dash types. I'd like to hear from others that run these units and actually use them for cooling. What are the positives and negatives do they actually cool the car worth a "you know what".

Thanks
    Bj

2. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

They're not very good in humid climates. I picked up one of the in-car coolers some years ago, it sits on the transmission hump and plugs into the cigarette lighter. On a hot, humid Minnesota day it just made it more humid inside the car. I filled it with ice and that helped a little, but it still wasn't worth the effort.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If you want cool, buy cool...air conditioning. You can piece a system together or buy a nice already engineered one from Vintage Air or a universal fit too from same vendor.

4. Larry T

Larry T

Gotta agree, not for cars. They have to be vented from the outside or they don't work. And I don't think you can get enough "cooling surface" to do any good. Just for comparison, most house units have around 30 square ft. of pads to cool one or two rooms.
    Larry T

5. Those coolers work fairly decent, but ONLY in a dry climate like Arizona or Nevada or the like. If the humidity is over 20 percent or so, it is ineffective.