Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suspension question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by new wave terror, Jan 29, 2006.

1. new wave terror

new wave terror

Whos running their front suspension with the spring perches in the wishbones instead of off the front axle.How safe is this?Any pics?

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

if it's done right it's as safe as can be expected

try searching suicide

there have been several threads on the subject

here's some construction shots of my T going together,
    I feel very confident in it's reliability

Attached Files:

3. new wave terror

new wave terror

That looks bomb proof.I didnt even then of making something like that.

4. BIG PORT JIMMY 6

BIG PORT JIMMY 6

Hey 60s I have been thinking about your design, and like it . What about a set of mounts like that with the shackle mount more to the bottom,so that you could move your bone up higher on the chassis. Do you think that the torsional stress would be too great? Food for thought thanks Jay

5. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Lots of info to be found on the subject here by searching as 60's Style suggested. Heres a few pics of mine though. Granted, my front suspension is bagged, but the same thing could easily be done with a spring.

I used 3/4" rod ends. To mount them to the bones, I used a piece of 1" dom tubing, with an 1/8" wall. This has an inside diameter of 3/4". I punched a 1" hole thru the bone, and welded the dom sleeve thru the bone. Slipped the 3/4" rod end thru the sleeve, put on a locknut, and that was that.

Since my bagged front end has 6" of suspension travel, I needed the rod end to swivel so the suspension wouldn't bind, so this worked out good for my situation. With a transverse leaf with a few inches of travel, this probably isn't needed though.

I also fabbed a 3/8" plate gusset to support the underside of the bone, and it also ties into the kingpin mount. So its extra strong, prolly overkill, but thats fine with me. Since the bones are originally intended only to locate the axle, not support its entire weight, I wanted it strong.

Also you may want to consider using late 30's/early 40's bones, as they are much stronger then model a bones, though lotsa guys run a bones and they are fine.

Heres a few pics

Attached Files: