Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Suspension on a 1940 ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1low40fordtruck, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Hello guys. I’m building a 1940 ford truck and I would love to have the front tires tucked in the fenders. Don’t want to put air ride on it but would love to set it as low as I can. How are these guys tucking tire and not rubbing the fenders? Thanks [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

four5four and chop job like this.
  2. teach'm

teach'm
    from Tucson, AZ

Are you using a dropped axle and transverse spring, or did you switch to a Mustang II style front suspension? If you are running an axle/spring setup, a narrower dropped axle will help tuck the tires inward, and a stock width wheel/tire combination would help the rubbing issue as well (although it appears you have already added aftermarket wheels and radial tires).

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

As stated above, it makes it pretty hard to give advice when you give no info as to type of suspension your running or the wheel and tire combination. If it's a stock I beam, you can have it droped without the stretch and this moves the wheel inboard 1" per side. 5" wide wheels will also help. There's probably 50 post on this board if you care to look that show and discuss tire ,wheel combinations for 40 Fords with pictures.

golferforpar and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

For reference purposes mine is a 4" drop with a reverse eye spring. I believe that gets you in the neighborhood of 3" total drop from stock. I'm also running a 24" dia. tire on a 15 x 5 rim 3" offset.

IMG_1459.JPG IMG_1535.JPG

5. Narrower axle helps but you run into rubbing problems with the drag link and *radius rods. Some guys cut the roll off the inside of the fender, actually before the newstalgia resto crowd came along that was quite common. Skinny tires and stock offset wheels or even negative offset also helps.

*assuming that the radius rods are split.

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah we need to know what you are running but as far as everyone else, dropped axle and spring gets you low. The correct width and offset wheels and having the axle narrowed when it drops helps clear the fenders.

Well, to an extent. Some guys run a fairly short tire but i like a big tall tire shoved up in there. What I ran in to was hitting my inner fender on one side at full lock. I’m sure that she does just tweaked more than the other side but it is something to consider when thinking of stuff that hits other stuff