Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Survivor hot rod!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

crossed my mind this morning that you guys would dig this little hot rod.

I've seen him around town before but the wheels are always in motion and I never got a chance to catch up with him.

Well this last month at our cruise in- our shop hosts a cruise in every fourth Friday of the month in Lee's summit Missouri- he rolled in! IMG_7076.JPG 394 olds mated to a Lincoln trans and a Culver City quick change!
    IMG_7077.JPG Love these headers! IMG_7078.JPG

It's got 46-8 brakes on it, looks like an early spring hung behind the quicky and the front is spring in front as well.

Really cool guy who had tons of stories.
    The body is all steel, I stole some photos a friend took of him bringing the body home IMG_7122.JPG and one of the roadster and some friends in 55 when Kansas City opened the drag strip IMG_7125.JPG
    He's full of stories I can't wait to hear :)

Thought it cool that I came across him the same time @cactus1 found his new roadster!

He's into more traditional style fenderless hotrods and wishes there were more around so I'm trying to get him introduced to more of the local guys and see if he won't come down to the hamb drags with us!

I'll post more to this thread when I get more info and stories but figured for now you'd dig what I have :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  2. rjones35

rjones35

Thats pretty cool!! I live right down the street from where the old track was, I know now, after i looked it up.! I 'll have to go drive up and down it a few times tonite.

3. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool "T", not real keen on the rolling stock though. Thanks for sharing her.

Dago 88, Ron Funkhouser and Montana1 like this.
  4. slowmotion

slowmotion

Cool old hotrod.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Talking with a friend he was one of the founders of the KCTA I'm looking forward to hearing some more about his history with hot rodding.

Yeah the wheels and tires aren't really my thing but he's had it on the road longer than my parents have been alive and drives it in literally any weather any time he wants so I'll let it slide.

That being said I'm trying to borrow a set of big and little Firestone's on 40 ford wheels to throw on it for a look see

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Mo rust I wonder if your auction roadster wasn't in some of the same photos as this one

Bill Nabors likes this.
  7. brady1929

brady1929

Yes, cool hot rod

8. Neat!

18n57 likes this.
  9. Nice old rod,thanks.

10. he could tell you about tires I bet....cool connection.....thanks for sharing....

11. I'm digging this roadster...

12. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I'm guessing he knew Radical Ray Erickson real well too being they where both KCTA guys. Cool!

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@T&A Flathead yeah my friend that introduced me says the hood on this roadster is actually off of one of rays old cars. They ran around together a bunch and even has a ton of old photos. Apparently they used to go to Salina to drag race before Kansas City had a track.

We are welding in the motor mounts on the model A Sunday afternoon so I had my friend invite him and the roadster over. I'd really like to get this guy back in the loop with the traditional hot Rodders in the area.

chryslerfan55 and T&A Flathead like this.
  14. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Hook him up with some of the Misfits.
    Ray was in that club. No need to to the club thing, but he can relate to most of those members. Great group of guys. Same guys that came to my house for the greaserama pre party breakfast when you came. If you need contact info let me know.
    Miss you KC guys!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Miss seeing you as well, feel free to send me contact info

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

IMG_8423.JPG IMG_8424.JPG IMG_8425.JPG IMG_8426.JPG IMG_8427.JPG IMG_8428.JPG IMG_8430.JPG IMG_8432.JPG Hung out a bit with him tonight and heard more stories about the car and I took more photos of little details.

Neat stuff

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Just a bump to the top for a cool hot rod.

was talking to him today and he told me the 37’ was olds rocket powered with a 3 carb intake thst he still has! 6 rows of louvers in the hood you can see if you look close in the photo.

was driving from Florida back to Kansas City and found the T body in North Carolina. And like any good hot rodder tied it to the roof and brought it home!

18. Thanks for the bump, with more info to boot!

Tim likes this.
  19. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Now that has a real hot rod mojo to it. This is personified :cool:

Tim likes this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Lots and lots of hand made parts and stories for every little piece

I think it’s actually a lesale trans, and he’s got a story about finding the quick change in the newspaper classifieds!

Hand made the pedal pads and every wind nut being hand made take a glance at that mega heavy dropped axle!

he was working at a foundry I believe at the time, I think he’s always worked as a welder etc. he cut the ends off the axle and fabricated new drops out of 2” thick plate and welded it all back together!

At first glance I thought it just a heavy dropped axle with the ends filled. Pretty cool.

and that 394 olds? Came out of the brand new car he bought for his wife!

plan to visit more this summer and eek out more photos and stories :)

@Jive-Bomber he said he was even at the track for opening day in 55 but didn’t have anything to add as far as information to the photo you posted of the club jackets. Knew what had already been posted basically.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Austin kays and I have rounded up a couple sets of big and littles and some Cheater slicks.

gonna see if he’s interested in a session of driveway dress up with them. I’ve always been curious what it would look like with the different tires on it.

Another detail, the back wheels are 40’ fords that he put into much wider hoops

bowie likes this.
  22. Big mike 1968

Big mike 1968

Cool old rod, love the vintage photos.

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hopefully get more soon :)

mid you notice there’s a lever on the right side of the steering wheel, it’s a solid linkage had throttle!

said on a longer drive his knee would hurt on his right leg so he just added a hand throttle!