Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest ***** Superstorm Sandy: How to help *****

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ArtofHotRod, Nov 3, 2012.

1. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

The deadly superstorm slammed into the East Coast on October 29, wreaking havoc in New Jersey, New York and many other states.

The record storm surge flooded towns up and down the coast, while millions remain without power days later.

Below is how you can help those in need:

Donate to the organizations that are mobilizing relief efforts in the region.

AMERICAN RED CROSS: The humanitarian organization led by volunteers and guided by its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement will provide relief to victims of disaster and help people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies. Mobilizing disaster workers, emergency vehicles, shelters and relief supplies to the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast states. Designate your gift to 'Disaster Relief.' DONATE HERE.

THE SALVATION ARMY USA: The Salvation Army is prepared for a long-term disaster response and recovery operation following the mass destruction and power outages left by Sandy. In New York City, officials from the Office of Emergency Management have appointed The Salvation Army as the lead agency for the City's Food Access Plan, to coordinate feeding at city shelters. Feeding has already begun in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, and mobile canteen units will deploy to the areas of greatest need as damage is assessed in the coming days. Designate your gift to '2012 Hurricane Relief Efforts.' DONATE HERE.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

2. 100% Matt

100% Matt

This is a message from a fellow firefighter that works for FDNY:

"Been a busy week, and havn't had much time or ability to get online. But just wanted to describe a bit of what is REALLY going on down in NYC:

I work in the 13th Division, which includes Rockaway. Was working the night of the storm...in Rockaway. From the little news I have watched, It seems the magnitude of what actually has occurred in NYC is not translating thru the news reports. So let me clarify. The Rockaway's are literally devastated. Several deaths, No power,blocks of houses destroyed, massive amounts of debris,thousands of vehicles destroyed and abandoned, sand in homes and streets measuring in feet. It is safe to say, that literally every single structure on the Rockaway peninsula....from Beach 32 street all the way out to Breezy Point, has suffered major damage...or is destroyed. Homes, stores, supermarkets, schools and 3 of the 4 firehouses in the Rockaways.

Although it has improved a bit, as of today....food and supplies were very hard to come by in the first several days....and I will not comment on the federal government's response...but thank God for individual people stepping up and helping each other...."nuff said".

As many know....the Rockaways is home to hundreds of FDNY firefighters, and many more relatives of FDNY members. Each of these members have suffered tremendous loss of property and damaged homes, not only of their own....but also to their parents,friends and relatives. The brothers of the FDNY are working their fingers to the bone to support our own.....providing food, figuring out ways to get them heat, and also cleaning out their destroyed property, helping them cope. We also are working our regular tours, and overtime, so the FDNY can continue our regular responsibilities, AND operate at the damaged areas of the city (Rockaway, Coney Island,Staten Island)

As far as fires....the night of the storm, there was dozens of fires in Rockaway, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island. In Rockaway alone there was the Breezy Fire (100 homes burned down) Bell Harbor (about 17 homes burned down) a fully involved taxpayer 200 feet long, and 2 other private dwellings. Each of these were fought for long durations with barely first alarm assignments (3 Engines & 2 Trucks)....in waist high (sometimes chest high) water, with a strong current (my ECC had his chin in the water while hooking up to a hydrant, which he found by feel) At each fire...once we got to them...the fires were succesfully stopped from reaching other buildings. I have always had many reasons to be proud of the FDNY...but on the night of 10/29/2012, I couldn't be prouder of the members I worked with! Incredible men, with incredible determination!

To end it....I am not a big rig buff, dont really know too much about them...nor do I care. But the Seagrave rig I was in that night was amazing! At one point, while responding to a job...the rig literally floated for several yards, like a boat. It pushed though water that at times was up to our windshield. It got us to the fire....pumped with water halfway up the rig for 6 hours, and returned to the firehouse the next morning. It is still in service a week later. You wouldn't believe it if you saw it. But 100% true, I promise you."

3. ryno

ryno

I'm just going to throw this out there, from experience.....
    try to contact someone local,ie church,hamber,hot rod buddy etc if your looking to donate.

the red cross and major corporations are great,but the powers that be also make a lot of money off stuff like this. id rather see my moneys and effort go directly to those in need.

again not to piss anyone off, just typing from experience.

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

The original poster is correct.
    I know it's "cool" to try to think that everything that we have come to know is corrupt and "on the take", but that simply is childish.
    The Red Cross and the Salvation Army have saved many broken lives from further despair when a tragedy strikes.
    I know how many hundreds of unpaid hours my wife and her family have donated to the Red Cross and the GALLONS of blood they have given and I don't take kindly to anyone trying to vilify the organization.
    The LAST thing that any charity needs is a can of soup donated to charity when that can of soup is hundreds of miles away from the storm-damaged area. THE LAST thing they want is some bullshit deal like that.
    They need money and BLOOD. The blood that you donate locally frees up blood to be transported to the area of the tragedy.

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And this was posted on a another thread.

[​IMG]

6. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

STICKY PLEASE

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">