Register now to get rid of these ads!

Super Subtle Custom Tricks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blown240, Jul 24, 2011.

1. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

I have gotten really interested lately in the cars that have body customization that is super mild and almost looks stock if you didnt know.

You know that cars that look just perfect and almost stock, but they just seem to have something "special". Then you find out that the list of modifications is 20 miles long. This has started me thinking about a super mild chop on my 51 Chevy. I have always thought that the roof was a bit to bubbly, but I dont think I really want the look of a standard chop. I am thinking of maybe doing a 2 or 3 inch chop. Something REAL mild.

Then I want to lower the reveal on the rear bumper about an inch, then lower the bumper to match the rear pan. Then I want to round all 4 corners of the hood, and the doors. I really like the look of rear fenders that sweep down a bit on top. So I am thinking of taking about an inch out of the rear fender height.

Any thought on this? Is it worth all the work for such a mild mod/mods?

2. i sectioned the hood on my '51 about 2 inches at the front of the hood to 0 in the rear of the hood, gives that subtle modification i think your looking for. i think what you suggested will look great.

3. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

You either go stock, over the top, or subtle. I personally prefer and admire the subtle modifications myself. I know the work that it took ad the thought process involved with such modifications. Only those in the know will know!

4. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

Thats exactly what I am talking about. TB- and pics of that hood?

5. man, 2" is still far too extreme for me! im so subtle i section shit 1/4"!

6. jerseymike

jerseymike

flush mount fender skirts is another i'd add to that list. the smooth look it gives instead of the slapped on look makes a world of difference yet most probably don't even notice.

7. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

I agree with the flush mount fender skirts. The slapped on look is noticeable to alot of people. Having them flush mounted continues the smooth flow a custom should have. The worst are bubble fender skirts

8. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

To go along with this line of reasoning, are color choices a little free-er as opposed to HAMB friendly choices of traditional hot rods?

That is, more candies, and brighter colors (although no pastel Easter eggs, lol)?

9. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

Right now I am leaning towards a candy red for color.

10. One thing I have always liked is when the square corner of a door is rounded off with the door opening rounded to match. Looks like the factory could have done it, but it was all the owner.

11. Cshabang

Cshabang

yep...people know somethings not stock..but cant figure it out until there is a stocker parked next to it....

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

There was a car in R&C or such, that had the top chopped ONE INCH. I think it was a model A. That's subtle and cool!