Register now to get rid of these ads!

Super Modifieds verse Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpeedyPAt, Oct 10, 2008.

1. SpeedyPAt

SpeedyPAt
    from Spokane Wa

I am just curiose as to the differance in modifieds from the east coast
    verses the west coast I grew up in the Bay Area as a kid with early 70s
    Super modifieds but there is a thread on here showing modifieds of the
    60's and 70's but it looks to me that most of that stuff was eastcoast
    and they look way diffaerant than the super modifieds of the 70's in
    California so is there a differance in suspension or motors so on so forth
    and wings when did the wings come about.

2. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Man i cant remember when the wings started but im sure we will get an answer.. As far as I know the supers were just really fast and updated modifieds. Then they got really wild after the first winged supers with the crazy offsets and they air hydraulic wings and big blocks.. My dad build a few motors for the supers but they didnt have wings when he was into it .. Early 60's maybe ?
    Dave

3. The "modifieds" never made it too big out west. The supers date back to the early 60s. On the east coast they were called "cutdowns". Try www.retrorockets.org . They have a lot of history. Heard something was wrong with the site, but I haven't been on there for awhile.

4. boldventure

boldventure

Those two terms are used to differnt things in different regions. East coast supers are tube chassis, usually straight front axel with radical offset engines and they run wings especially at Oswego Speedway. Some folks call them the fastest short track cars in the world. Engines used to be unlimited. I think they still run methanol and are injected. Put Oswego Speedway in a search engine should give you some info.

5. Super Modifieds are a totally different animal then a Modified here in the Northeast and I believe the whole East Coast.

Can you post a photo of a Modified and/or Super Modified in your area of the West Coast?

6. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

They used to be the fastest short track cars in the world.. There is a big open wheel show at Toledo speedway every year and the supers cant cut it anymore.. We have upright sprints that literally kick the shit outta the supers.. Used to be we ran sprints with the supers but not anymore as it would be an embarrassment. I still love the supers though ISMA and MSA.. They both put on great shows... I always wanted to go to the copper classic in phoenix and then they screwed up the show. How could you beat supers midgets and sprints all on the same weekend at phoenix? We got rained out this year at Toledo but thre was another show at Berlin speedway a couple weeks ago with the supers midgets and sprints and it was great.. And FAST
    Dave

7. DrJ

DrJ

Those aren't wings... They're billboards for sponsors!

8. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Well im guessing you really dont understand the theory... They do work..
    Dave

9. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

That's not an easy question to answer in a hundred words or less. But, to give you a rough idea of the history or evolution of the east vs. west; The west coast supers can trace their heritage back to the Modified Roadsters of the pre-ww 2 era and to Sprint Cars ; largely pupose built race cars.

The east coast modifieds were born of the production based cars that were modified, hence; Modified Stock Cars. Of course the east coast guys took it to the point where today, there is nothing stock on the cars!

Up untill the early 70's dirt and pavement east coast modifieds were almost identical until they became more and more specific to the point that today they no longer look like thay are related.

Now to add more confusion, today east coast and west coast PAVEMENT Super Modifieds are very, very similar in design and rules. Infact my panties are moist just thinking about the big east vs. west Super Modified race we have coming here in NC next month, oh yeah, throw in the NASCAR mods on the same weekend and I'm about ready to explode!

10. This was mine...sold it when I moved to PA. The rules back here are different enough to make it worth building a new one.

YEAH I know it's all O/T...

Attached Files:

11. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I dont think its ot... Good looking car...
    Dave

12. Rich, I can always count on you old buddy. How many years before the tyke gets a seat in a mod himself? I know you'll keep me posted. :)

13. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

14. Thanks Dave. 100% homebuilt, including engine.

16. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Ya i love em... the thing about the super guys is they are a race car and a show piece... Although here with the auto value super sprint winged sprint series they are also pretty cars but even though they kick the shit outta the supers they just aint near as pretty... Cicconni is cool ... I try to follow all the ISMA/MSA guys here but even though ive spent pretty much the whole summer at races i still dont have enuff time to hit em all. Ive also never been to the east coast for a good super race?
    Dave

17. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

This great.. another great thread if we can keep it going with supers..
    Dave

18. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

the super dad wrenched on...He built the engines this is sandusky speedway before the wings..
    dave

Attached Files:

• 71.jpg
      71.jpg
      File size:
      118.1 KB
      Views:
  19. SpeedyPAt

SpeedyPAt
    from Spokane Wa

West coast supers here are a couple of pics from like 1970 to
    1975 or so

20. SpeedyPAt

SpeedyPAt
    from Spokane Wa

sorry I will try this again

Attached Files:

21. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

22. SpeedyPAt

SpeedyPAt
    from Spokane Wa

here is another I think they look like a totally diffirent animal

Attached Files:

23. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Look at the pic i put up again... Dad got pissed cause they kept picking up the left front and told everyone that the god damn thing had 4 wheels and we needed to use em so he added the bars from the cage to the front of the car to keep from twisting the frame :) I see your pic and it reminds me of that ........
    Dave

24. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

How many years? That depends on how much HE can earn!

25. You're just going to have to teach him to be a quality builder like you are. That will have to count for something Bud.

He's got talent already.

26. SpeedyPAt

SpeedyPAt
    from Spokane Wa

So as I said I am a little confused in the look of the west coast style of super mods
    verses the modifieds that had like a gremlin shell cut to fit the chasis are the cars
    similar in how they got started because some of the supers on the west coast from
    before I can remember look as if they started out like the gremiln bodied cars on the
    east coast

27. Did you check out RetroRockets? It's all there...the whole history of the division. You can see when the bodies changed on the supers. The modifieds stayed with the stock bodies much longer because NASCAR liked that the fans could identify the cars. As I said, the full body mods never really got big out west.

28. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

I forgot about Retro Rockets - Great web site.

29. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

I used to work a couple of Californians and they used to tell me about the Modifieds they had back there, I think at Sagus , and they descirbed and showed me pics of cars that basically looked like a late model, of course being a New Yawker, I told them those aren't real modifieds because they had fenders! (And I meant it!)