Register now to get rid of these ads!

Super Glue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drive Em, May 15, 2012.

1. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

well my girlfriend ran over a two day old kittens tail with a closet door and tore all the skin all around it. So i tried gluing it. It wasn't working so i cut its tail off with scissors. Super gluing the end helped it to heal nicely tho. And now its named bob (bob tail) and kills all sorts of stuff around the farm.

2. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

It's been mentioned using it for wound care. Maybe you would be surprised to know that there is a medical version used everyday in the OR and ER. Maybe in conjuction with duct tape, the kitten's tail may have been saved!

I don't use it for gasket retention or anywhere you require flexibility. It is very brittle and also could create interferance in with use on a gasket. I prefer to just use sillycone or similiar for temp applications. I prefer to use the correct flavor of Loctite for thread locking.

It's also great for pranking. I once glued every single thing on my friends workbench in place just as he left it. Every tool, every random nut and bolt. Pretty damn funny! Once when I was in the hospital for a couple months after a head on wreck, out of boredom I glued a quarter, couple dimes and a nickel to the floor in the hallway. Amazing how hard people worked at trying to pick up some spare change!

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^ I heard it was developed first for medial use, then the word got out. Gary

4. gwr1800

gwr1800

For those of you that use super glue.... Try looking at you local hobby shop that sells R/C airplanes. You will find "super Glue" in different thicknesses, and the spray to set it up quickly.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Okay, I use this too for wound care. The idea to hold a chassis bracket while tacking is a great idea!

But the true test of this stuff came at L.A Roadster show in Elpolacko's green twin turbo truck. We pulled into the prefered parking on sunday and were greeted with the smell of anti-freeze. The header had let go and a crack about an inch long was doing it's best to make life hard. We walked the swap and racked our brains as to what to fix this mess with so we could make the 360 mile 100 degree + ride home that day. As we passed the guy in the super glue booth showing the Baking Soda fillet trick, my model airplane days clicked and a decision was made! Right in the H.A.M.B. camp in the parking lot we pulled the radiator out of the truck and made the repairs with a bit of baking soda and the super glue. How did it work? Not only did it give us no problems on the way home, But Steve bought a new radiator from Ron Davis about six months ago and still to my knowledge hasn't installed it! Errr, probably time to that before we head out to L.A next month for this years show!

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Loctite has a great super glue for all types of plastics. The stuff is incredible, it has an activator you apply first then the glue to one piece then hold the pieces together.

It will glue plastics that before this were impossible to make anything stick to.

7. I second the plastic loctite stuff. Glued a shift knob back together and fixed a bunch of stuff on my 09 truck before I sold it

8. Cymro

Cymro

Another automotive use is when replacing the clutch friction plate on a car without a pilot bearing in the fly wheel, glue the friction plate to the flywheel 3 drops is all it takes, no allignment probs, my mate does it all the time with newer o/t cars, the initial moving off will free the clutch, provided that only 3 drops was used, he once had a spillage but that's another story.

9. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

"It's also great for pranking. I once glued every single thing on my friends workbench in place just as he left it. Every tool, every random nut and bolt. Pretty damn funny! Once when I was in the hospital for a couple months after a head on wreck, out of boredom I glued a quarter, couple dimes and a nickel to the floor in the hallway. Amazing how hard people worked at trying to pick up some spare change!" - amphicar

Oh, man, you just conjured up a great memory! I was getting out of the Navy in 1999 after 6 years of service. We had BIG bottles of the stuff, probably 3 or 4 ounces, used in the production of a particular torpedo part. Before I left at the end of the day on the last day of my enlisted service, I used about four entire big bottles of the stuff and glued EVERYTHING in and on my dick-of-a-supervisor's desk TO his desk, exactly where it sat. Paper clips, pens, family portrait in a frame, coffee mug, keyboard, computer, monitor, I mean EVERYTHING. He had it coming... ;)

10. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

I use it to patch bike tubes and the kids inflatable toys, also use it to build radiator hose patterns, cut bends and sections of old hoses glue them together take it down to napa look through the ones they have hangin on the wall -hope you find one thats close.

11. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I sometimes use it when trying to install a nut in a tight spot. I glue the nut to the end of my finger and turn the bolt or screw into it. Hurts a little to rip it off .

12. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Which lips?

13. aaggie

aaggie

I use it to glue the ends of windshield rubber together. I try and make the joint at the bottom and middle.

14. rovertenrod

rovertenrod

I once used this method on a sierra 2.8 4x4 ( mercury merkur) I used 4 drops and it was the next day when I was ready to break it free. I couldnt do it on the lift, I had to take it up the road to free it off. Last time I did that!

As a kid I had a huge bottle of superglue but zero money. I used it to mend a tube on my bike. It had a slow after that! An old chap told me to use milk in the tube and it will seal. I blew him off until he was outa sight.... Then tried it.... It works! But you NEVER want to mend that tube again.

15. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I had kidney cancer a couple years ago and they removed my kidney. When I was in the hospital, every nurse that came in to check my incision asked if I had seen my cut? I didn't want to see it! After the 4th or 5th nurse asked me, I wanted to know why everyone asked me about looking at it? The nurse said he didn't put any stitches in, he super glued me back together. They had never seen one that long (they were talking about the incision I think). 7" incision down the left side of my stomach. Up and walking a few hours after surgery. Never leaked a drop of red stuff. Must be good shit.

SPark

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Aaaha..Im not the only one!

17. flypa38

flypa38

They might both work...never tried baking powder, but routinely use super glue and baking soda.

To the other aircraft mechanics.....Ever try to change the nose gear selector valve on a CRJ without the super glue? Took me two hours for one of the screws! Boy those engineer fellas at Bombardier know how to play a joke on a mechanic!

18. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

One set snaps closed when she says I do.

19. sheltonk7

sheltonk7

works good on false teeth

20. fossiltin62

fossiltin62

Use it to fix cork floats in gas tanks and carbs. Gotta watch what you get though.

21. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

I hate to admit it, but I "fixed" a small cut (3/8 - 1/2 inch long) on the sidewall of a drag slick. Car made a pass on it against my objections, but it wasn't my ass in the seat and it was a single exhibition run. (Like that makes it OK).

The NHRA would love to hear that one, I'm sure.

22. Which lips?
    The little bottle is barely enough for the yappin ones..
    They dont sell crazy glue in tubes like liquid nails!
    Engine man,hahahah...wait I dont get it

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I found the pictures of Elpolacko's and my super glue adventure at H.A.M.B. camp at LARS last year...

Attached Files:

• 554.jpg
      554.jpg
      File size:
      330 KB
      Views:
    • 555.jpg
      555.jpg
      File size:
      257.4 KB
      Views:
    • 556.jpg
      556.jpg
      File size:
      296.1 KB
      Views:
  24. johnod

johnod

What's the zapper????

25. flypa38

flypa38

Its a liquid activator. Makes super glue go from really quick to literally instant. It comes in a little spray bottle.