Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sunday Model Cars 2-22-2009

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carps, Feb 21, 2009.

1. OK so it's very late saturday nite here and I just finsihed this old AMT '41 Plymouth coupe.

It's chopped about six scale inches. The rear portion of the top is moved back and made from the carson top out of Revellogram '48 Ford convertible, narrowed, trimmed and filled to fit.

Grille is stock, headlamps from AMT '50 Ford, trimmed from three bar kustom grille and the front bumper is AMT '50 Merc. Now the interesting bit here is it's from the late kit that has those butt ugly big wheels, the earlier kits having a cros bar between the overiders (bumperettes?) on both front and rear bars (a little model car trivia). Hood is nosed and filled, otherwise stock, I though about Appletons, but think it looks cleaner wothout them.

Fadeway fenders made from tube cut in half and ground to fit, filled with flat sheet and a little model car bondo. All fenders have had the reveals removed and are now smoothly moulded to the body. Rear skirts are scratch built from flat sheet.

Rear bumper and tailamps are also from AMT '50 Merc kit, decklid decromed but otherwise stock, with rear pan moulded to body.

Interior is largely stock with chrom foil detailing o the dash and a Chevy steering wheel.

Paint is a blend of 75% Honduras maroon, 20% deep gold metalflake and 5% bright red pearl, sprayed over a chartruese metalflake base.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has a couple of small flaws and maybe I'd do a few things different if I did it again, which considering I still have a few more of these kits, is quite possible.

2. dodgeboy

dodgeboy

VERY COOL DUDE!!..I wish I had the motivation to do custom models.I have approx. 200 unbuilt ones,and another 150 or so built myself.Maybe someday!........

3. philo426

philo426

Great work and a very nice paint job indeed!

4. philo426

philo426

Not a car model but here is my latest project;A 1/48 Hobby boss FJ4 Fury. [​IMG]

5. Model Car Sunday.

6. Glass_Packs

Glass_Packs

WOW Carps, I never thought a '41 Plymouth could be cool, but you DEFINATELY proved me wrong! This one needs to be built 1:1 scale.

Great Job!
    Tom - Glass_Packs

7. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

Man! That is really cool! I like it!

8. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Very nice job and lots of work ,you done real good!

9. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

Just a note: ModelFest model show / sale and Ventura Fairgrounds--Ventura.Ca today,Sunday,--10:30-3:00--Where Primer Nationals are.

10. froghawk

froghawk

Nice job on the Plymouth, Carps! Maybe I need to give that kit another look!

Nothing new from the Froghawk shop this week, so here's a Monogram 1/24 '32 roadster built a couple years ago as sort of a tribute to the original 1960's "Little Deuce" issue of this kit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you're within driving distance of the Philadelphia, PA area next Saturday, 2/28, the Philly Area Car Modelers are hosting the sixth annual "Big Sit" car modelers get together at Main Line Hobbies, 2915 Hannah Ave., East Norriton PA. No contest, just a display and bull session with members of five model clubs from Jersey, Maryland, PA among others. The shop has a terrific slot car track and this is always a great time!

11. i'm working on building a model of this: St.vasques' 51 chevy convertible, 56 packard taillights,56chevy rear bumper,55 cadillac headlights,53chevy grill surround,desoto grill bar,turned upside down and frenched in stock 51 chevy bumper. more pics later.

Attached Files:

12. here is a picture of Ron Woods model of this car, he sent me the parts i needed to build my own.

Attached Files:

13. I'll join in on Model Car Sunday with my'49 Merc, I built this one about a year and a half ago, mostly box stock with the rear lowered some, Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland interior door handles and arm rests, intake converted to a single four-barrel, with RMM Caddy air cleaner. Carps I still like that Plymouth!

14. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

kit available from mcw ph. 336 228 0240

Attached Files:

15. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

here's what my sectioned 55 chevy looks like now, i got the front end a few weeks ago and got it on the same day. it started as the canted headlight custom front end from the amt 50 ford convertible kit.

in case you guys dont remember this one, body modifications include a 1/8" section, nomad rear wheel openings, custom taillights, 58 impala roof "scoop", and a completely custom front end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here's some old pictures
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  16. I like Carp's 41 Plymouth. I never thought you could do anything cool with those until I saw pics of a 1:1 on Dave Lindsay's site a few years ago.
    So, for the most part, I copied the car he photographed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The end,,,,,,,,,and a damned fine one!

17. Macca

Macca

"Pretty in Pink '48"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. i love that 48!

19. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

20. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Dang you guys posted some nice stuff this time. Love it all. Ol'Skool I like that 55. I sectioned one a few years ago and just started working on it again. I went with the other nose from the 50 Ford. That is what stopped me from working on my 55 was trying to figure out what to do with the nose. Maybe next week I can post some pics of it.
    Well here is the Revell Merc I started last year and just finished a month ago. Just a box stock build with some Shrimmins House of Color paint. Sorry for the bad pic, first attempt outside.

Attached Files:

21. Damn!...Is that Linda Vaughn rubbin on Your Mopar?

22. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

Wow ! that 55 chev will be insane !!! period perfect ! :eek:

23. Dr.Kerry

Dr.Kerry

Nice Merc Scott!!!!!