Register now to get rid of these ads!

sunchaser shrinking disc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the metalsurgeon, Jun 29, 2012.

1. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the very late 80's ,I went to a metal working seminar at Scott Knights out in Cal.The guy is amazing.Ken put on the seminar, It was a great weekend with a serious talented group of guys .A lot of hands-on work.I was there when the shrinking disc was presented to the class.A very useful tool.Scott brought out the first one he had made many years before.He showed us how he beat the disc with a chisel over a round bar in a vise.Said you could keep re- the disc by using the chisel again and again. This thing was narly. Still worked great though.I have went through three of them over years . They wear out very quickly if you use them over fresh sand blasted metal.Run a scotch brite or 80 grit over the metal first.I have a six inch scar going across my thigh muscle from that edge so I thought I would try wrays next time. Didn't mean to hijack your thread, but the answer is Ken got it from Scott

2. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i saw him there on sat. to, but he does seem bitter about things. he used to bring a bunch of invintory to sell, but this year he seemed to down-size abit.

3. cracker head

cracker head

I can vouch for Tim's cheap...... I mean work.:D He did the metal work on my '32 5w and my Bonneville car. Shit is right.

4. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

ok on your statement,which i totally agree ,i ordered a smooth shrinking disc off ebay for $39 /free shipping.

Used it for 3 weeks now ,result works great!

Guys, forget about the sunchaser discs .

Attached Files:

5. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Consider it forgotten!

"A government by the people , for the people " my ass!

6. My body man ran into the same "6 disc" offer. He really didn't want to buy 6 of 'em but decided he'd prolly eventually go through them so he bit...owns 6 shiny new discs.

7. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

I`ve used these for almost 20 years, and went through the same hassle earlier this year with Ken. I bought 5 discs, and spent almost an hour on the phone with him. He said the same thing to me about getting back into the Shop. I have wondered about Wray Schelin`s disc-now I see he recommends using a backing pad in a similar way to Ken`s setup. I tried one from John Kelly but didn`t get the long life I wanted. I`d be interested to hear reports on any alternatives. The disc is a really useful tool. I have even demonstrated it at a small seminar I taught earlier this year..

8. metal man

metal man

That's good to know about the smooth ones! I'm still using my first Sunchaser serrated one.

You should have seen the look on my co-workers faces(non-metalworkers) the first time I saddled up that 9" serrated disc on the body grinder! Classic.

9. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I have Wray's disc and used it extensively on my coupe. It works well and so far, so good.

10. I made my own. One 10" and one 7" 16 ga stainless. Work great, cost next to nothing. No cracks after years of use. I still check them every time I use them. My big grinder would cut you in half if it let go!