Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Sun protection and staying cool in a Roadster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Inked Monkey, Jul 11, 2019.

1. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

The fishing shirts available at places like bass pro are great, very cool but good sun protection.

on my OT roadster I added foot box blowers. It consists of 3” flexible tubes and bilge blowers that blow cold air on your feet. They connect to the brake cooling scoops on either side of the rad and pick up cold air. Gates from a dust collection system let you close it off when not needed. In that car your feet are down by the headers and get mighty hot if stuck in traffic.

Google FFR foot box blowers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I have kept sunscreen in every car I've owned since I was 20 and have never regretted it. I was stranded on the side of the road for 5 hours once back then and my 72 Satellite had black vinyl on the roof so baking in the sun was half preferable. I got burned up pretty bad that day.

I usually get the SPF 110 stuff in a spray can so I can mist myself down in it quickly should the need arise. I also keep a roll of Tums and a bottle of Pepto in there now ;)

As far as shade goes, check out Sailrite.com because they have all sorts of materials, tools, and tutorials for this kind of stuff. If you're tall enough to need to see out where the roof would be, you can get something like a tinted sail window material or a mesh (ask them or another shop to make sure it's strong enough stuff).

Do a search for TINTED MARINE VINYL and you'll find it available by the yard in all sorts of thicknesses and tints.

Here's a video on making windows in canvas:

I've been using those "Shade Sail" things you can get online over my driveway since last summer and they're great for keeping cool. That keeps my shop cool too since the pavement in front of it doesn't get so hot and most of the sun doesn't come in the shop either. I've pondered it for a light bimini top on a car but I think it flexes/stretches a bit too much.

Inked Monkey likes this.
  3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Bimini tops are on mot every boat out west for this very reason.

4. I never had a top for my roadster, If, and I hope I will have another roadster a top will be mandatory. HRP

Inked Monkey likes this.
  5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

6. garage2small

garage2small

I wear a long sleeve white shirt that has some sort of sun block manufactured into the fabric. They are also light weight and wick away moisture. They are usually available at sporting goods stores, I think fishermen use them a lot. I also wear them when riding a motorcycle they really help. For the head just load up on the sun screen or maybe a French Foreign Legion Keppie to protect the back of your neck.

jazz1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Just a fold down top will do it! Shade when it's up and back window unzips too. When it's down it has that jalopy look. Nothing like it down on a summer night! IMG_1910.JPG IMG_1825.JPG

8. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

I don't have a roadster but if I did, it sure as hell would have a top. Have a pretty good scar from the melanoma they carved out of my neck about 5 years back. And I'm only 33. Good ol' AZ sunshine!

9. Binkman

Binkman

I used to drive my cars with the tops down occasionally.
    After the Dr. removed spots from my head and neck I always keep the tops up on my roadster, cabriolet, and phateon- even in fall and winter.
    All it took was the threat of melanoma and I was convinced about the dangers of sun exposure.
    I regularly got bad sun burns in my earlier years and now am at risk for skin cancer.
    Don't take chances with your health.
    No easy answer except for reducing sun exposure with a top.
    That is the only way I know of to reduce the risk.

Inked Monkey likes this.
  10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Gawd that's a bitchin car!

ct1932ford likes this.
  11. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

I hear ya TWkundrat..12 years ago i waited, went in and lost a very small piece from my left ear,after they said it would only be a small color change, then this year small cut on my left neck. They said it always hits the left side first, maybe because when were driving along distance comes in from that side, also said that it's common with airline pilots...anyway, you could never put too much sunscreen on me now...more the better.

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I don’t think you are to big for a normal top, your just taller than your cut down windshield.

I’d look into a top and maybe a second upper half windshield that goes with it? It’s hard to tell from video of you driving it but I think there’s probably a way to make it look good. Just need a good side shot of you in the car.

Now getting in and out when you can’t jist step in may be a different story lol

Inked Monkey likes this.
  13. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

One reason why I left my top stock height. A folding top is in the works. My hat stays on but the wind hits me in the back of the head IMG_0976.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Inked Monkey and lurker mick like this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

In my early hot rod days, I got a ride in Jack Stewart’s cool red, 1932 Ford Roadster. He took me for a ride to several shops and it was thrilling. My first ride in a high quality 32 roadster. At the time, white, short sleeve t-shirts were the thing. So my arms and head got a lot of hot sunshine bearing down on both of us. Someone a long time ago told me not to wear baseball caps or hats of any kind if I wanted to keep my hair, later on in life. Ha…

Going back 13 years, we were in need of some kind of protective outerwear while in the sun. My teenage, all day surf trips did a number on the old body, but despite the ever present So Cal sun tan, we would not have it any other way for adventures and experiences. So, when we needed to hang around the beach with our granddaughter (she had her own 50 spf shirts), go sailing, or just being with family and friends at a lake for those kinds of events, we needed some kind of skin protection.

My wife is very clothes and appearance concious (as are most girls/women) so, she decided to go to some travel shop in 2005 to get a travel style button down long sleeve collar shirt. It looked like a modified business shirt, but it had a 50 spf rating and protected her light skin for all of those outdoor events. Those shirts were not to my liking and I held out for a different style.

Then in 2006, in Belmont Shore’s Alamitos Bay, there was a small shop that had interesting clothes for general wear and specifically outdoors. No collar shirts or general long sleeve business look styles. (They started in 1999 and we got our first taste of high performance protective, long sleeve t-shirts.) It was a high neck, long sleeve “cooling” shirts that also had a 50 spf rating. It looked like my favorite long sleeve t-shirts, but with added sun reflection and cooling effect while wearing them around.

Now, this was what became the essential shirt for outdoors. Driving with the windows open, the air goes over the nylon shirt with mini holes and instantly cooled the arms and body. There were the standard colors, but white was the popular choice, being the most reflective for the sun’s rays.

Jnaki

Today, the company, being the originator of the Dry Shirt/Sun Protection idea, they have instant competition from all over the world. But, in So Cal and their world wide following, those shirts have it over others, as you can get names silkscreened on them, company logos and events screened on them, too. All shirts, hoodies, golf style pull over shirts can be had with or without your logo.

But, walk into any sports shop and there are tons of rivals with their versions of similar shirts. If you are conscious of name brands, go for it. But, during all of these years, our plain DRY UV COMPANY shirts have done the job, my skin is protected and the shirts looks rather stylish. Plus, they have styles that no other company dares make or sell.
    upload_2019-7-13_3-25-15.png
    My DryUV arsenal, everything from short sleeve solid colors to hooded spf 50 to silver/white long sleeves with navy & black side inserts. One for each day and night if needed.

My wardrobe had many different styles for warm sun to boiling sun and in all colors and styles. They do keep me cool while driving with or without the windows down. My left arm is fully protected as is my old upper body in any situation. One last use, on warm to hot days in the gardening hours, they protect like no other, and keeps me cool. In a pool or any water activity it is like a wet t-shirt, once out of the water, the shirt instantly dries as if it was never in the water. Protection in and out of the water environment.
    upload_2019-7-13_3-26-2.png My current favorite Pro-Tech, grey/silver with blue inserts. (Add in similar material, cooling, neck gaiters, spf 50+ lotion and no more burns.)

http://www.dryuv.com/saoct.htm
    upload_2019-7-13_3-29-17.png men’s, women’s, and kids
    upload_2019-7-13_3-29-58.png http://www.dryuv.com/
    upload_2019-7-13_3-31-2.png
    https://www.facebook.com/DryShirtcom-81569349821/

15. If we're just talking about being outside during the day, then it's a full gardeners hat and a REI army green sun protection long sleeve shirt. It's pretty easy to spot me walking around.