Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Summit Racing 8600vs 600 cfm Carb thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Aug 13, 2015.

1. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I've been researching carburetors for my Ford 5.0 with a stage 1 cam and heads re worked and ported, edelbrock intake, flat top pistons, and hot electronic ignition.

A lot of my research has pointed me towards 4 carbs.. but 1 keeps coming up more than any.. The Summit 8600vs 600 cfm carb.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-m08600vs

What I've found out is that 1 its affordable.. 2. its based off the autolite 4100 / Holley 4010..
    I know the 4010 didn't have a good rep ... but, this carb seems to have nothing really but good reviews. save a couple which had casting issues. 3 it has annular boosters which guys with the 4100s love.. and say work great on ford small blocks. 4. it has all holley tuning parts with all the problems of the 4010 fixed.

The others are the Quick Fuel 580hr, Quick Fuel 600 Slayer, and the Demon Street Demon.

The slayer 600 is my number 2 choice after the summit right now and the street demon 3rd.

I have an edelbrock 500 and im ready to move on to something else. Thoughts?

2. 65fordguy

65fordguy

ttt for morning crowd.

3. 65fordguy

65fordguy

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Check out some of the youtube videos on the Summit,I helped a guy on a build and he used one in place of a 600 CFM Performer gained 3 MPG on the street and shaved 1/2 second off his best E.T.

5. stimpy

stimpy

I had one of them 4010s on a DD and it was great for the several years I had the car (72 chevelle) , was quick on response and good on milage , and working on it was easy while on the car . only thing is you needed a torx driver to remove the cover

6. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Thanks guys. Im being pretty torn between this carb and the street demon. I hear a lot of good about both.

7. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Quick fuel slayer is still on my mind though too. I liked that they had good customer service.

8. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

I would recommend the quick fuel. I had two 600 hollys modified by them. I have one of their 680 cfm vac secondary carbs on a mildly modified small block chevy. Works very nice and has lots of adjustability.

9. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I have 3 QFT carbs. 600SL, 750 SL, and a SS850 on engines from mild to wild. They are great carbs. Very tuneable. I highly recommend them. They are also good looking carbs.

10. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I don't think I've ever heard a negative word against them. The qft guys recommend 1st a 580 hr carb... Which all in would run me about 475 with fuel line.. The 600 slayer he said would be OK.. It's just more basic...with only 1 metering block. And less tune ability. Says the slayer is his best selling carb however. That said I like the annular boosters, fuel bowl, and price of the summit... And I like the triple stack small primaries and the afb design of the street demon.. But for every good thing a out demon I see 3 bad. I'm looking for a good dependable carb like my Eddy has been but offer more tune ability and performance. Without leaking any gas. (if that's even an issue anymore with holley?)

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Many years ago I had a Ford four bbl on a regular Ford car. It was an early model that used Holley jets not the larger later jets. Nothing wrong with that carburetor. It would run with the top off. The only thing I would say about the commonly available Ford part is jets are harder to come by. And they only come in what ever size it is.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I liked the Holley 4010 carbs the first time around, all they needed was the acc. pump shooters drilled out a little and they worked good.
    If you are really going to tune it (ifrs and PVCR's), go with the QF, but for what you have, I'd bet the OOB calibration on the Summit is pretty damned close. I wouldn't use an edelbrock if someone gave me one, I'd rather rebuild an old AFB.
    For your combo, I'd go with the summit.

13. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I don't plan on going ridiculous with it.. I want it to run right and the motor to perform to is best ability or close.. but I don't want a carb that will require me to constantly tune. I initially went with the Edelbrock 500 for its throttle response.. which is good. very snappy. but once you get past that It just feels like it goes flat. from 1000 to 3000 rpm it runs great but over that. eh. the motor just feels like it wants more go. In this case talking with Quick Fuel, they really feel their carb would do the job. And a comparison dyno chart do tend to prove QFT does make the most power... But in terms of drive ability the Summit Carb is right there with it.

from a Hot Rod magazine carburetor shoot out.
    Bolt on HP rating on a built SBC

Carburetor HP
    Quick Fuel Slayer 401
    Q-jet 397
    Edelbrock 397
    Holley 3310 Reman. 392
    Summit 386
    Holley 3310C 382
    Swap Meet 3310 Holley 358

Cruise AF Ratio
    CarburetorA/F Ratio
    Quick Fuel Slayer15.2:1
    Swap Meet 331014.2:1
    Summit13.5:1
    Holley 3310C13.3:1
    Holley 3310 Reman.12.8:1
    Edelbrock11.7:1Q-jet11.5:1

Average Tuned Power
    Swap Meet 3310 306.2
    Holley 3310 Reman.306.0
    Summit305.1
    Quick Fuel Slayer303.6
    Q-jet303.5
    Edelbrock301.2
    Holley 3310C301.0

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Not that it will do you much good, but I have one of the Summit carbs on the 460 in my e350 motorhome. It worked great right out of the box, didn't even have to set the idle speed.

15. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Thanks BamaMav... What you say echos what I read on a lot of reviews.

16. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

If you checked out the youtube videos the Summit Carb uses readily available Holley parts for tuning.

17. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I have... It looks like a good choice... I've been trying to figure out about metering, emulsion and idle vs the holley and street demon. But not a lot of info about those specifics on the summit.

18. 65fordguy

65fordguy

My concern here in my last statement is how is the metering done on the summit carb since it doesn't have Metering blocks or plates like a standard holley or metering rods like the AFB carbs. . . not that I think my particular setup would greatly benefit, but some carbs like Quick Fuel tout " 4 corner idle " . . . and I was being strongly convinced by a sales man at QFT to get he HR over the Slayer carb because it had 2 metering blocks ( instead of 1 ) and 4 corner idle adjustment.

19. Get a Quick Fuel. I would stay away from just about any Demon carb. I have seen guys toss them in the trash!

20. AHotRod

AHotRod

STAY AWAY from the Demon Carbs, been there (as well as many others) and had nothing but major tuning issues that could never be ironed out, AND horrible gas mileage.

I've also had a lot of Carter / Edelbrock AFB's, nice street driver carb, but nothing to shout about in the performance department, even after spending a few hundred dollars trying.

Get the Quick Fuel unit that THEY recommend and be done.

21. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I hear this a lot about the Demon Brand. I think with them its hit or miss... either you get one that works well or you don't.. I have a friend and member here that has a 525 Road Demon and it works really well for him. That said. Im not interested in any of Demons 4150/60 carbs.. and im iffy about the street demon AFB carb. -- but, the package it offers if it works, would be a good one... it just seems too risky of a choice.

The QFT selection is where my brain goes numb and my wallet goes dry. They have a carb like I mentioned that would probably be great.. its little over 400 bucks... the 580 Hot Rod series. I really only have about 300 for this at the moment. and the Slayer 600 or slayer 1957 black diamond fit my budget... What I am reading suggest that the slayer carb may be lacking in areas where streetability and mid throttle vs the Summit 4010/ autolite 4100 remade is maybe a better choice... but all signs point to it not being as good as a top end performer as the slayer.. im a bit conflicted on the choice. Im really reading into the design of the 4010.. 4100.. whatever it is... trying to understand the differences between all of them. I can begin to understand why some guys like the metering system on the AFB style carbs. lol. I really wish I had paid more attention as a kid to my dad who was known as " the carburetor man". He hates Holley on a daily driver... but his only experience is with holley of the 60s and 70s. His carbs of choice where Carter, Edelbrock, Rochester, and some goofy looking thing that I can't remember what it was called... He has said Holley and Ford kept him in business in the 60s. lol .. and I drive a ford and im looking at holleys.. but im not looking at holleys "technically" they are QFT and Summit. lol. o well.

22. 65fordguy

65fordguy

i've tuned this 500 edelbrock of mine to about all i'm going to get. it runs great as a economical street carb.. it is snappy.. and throttle response is good. but put the pedal down and it is lacking. and I can tell the motor wants more. apparently that cfm calculator stuff is good for making a good economy... i've come across several performance carb guys that seem to agree that the ideal cfm rating for my setup should be between 560-610.. so technically the QFT 580 nails it.. the Holley 570 and Proform 580 nail it. the 600's feel a little on the upper end of my range.. Just sucks the others cost so much! however, the 580s from QFT and Proform ( said to be the same product just different name and metering blocks. ) don't have the Ford kickdowns... the Slayers do. The Summit Does. I can get a kit.. but according to QFT.. its clunky. I can pay QFT to put in a ford kickdown mechanism like whats in the slayer. but that would cost extra on top. and I have to buy the 30 dollar dual fuel feed . lol. getting closer to 500 now.

23. AHotRod

AHotRod

Let me tell you, almost any V8 engine that has a 500-625 CFM carb on it will get equal or better gas mileage and more power out of a 750 CFM.
    We put Holley #0-3310 vacuum secondary carbs (780 CFM) on everything from 283-460 CID engines and they ran great!

Personally, I spent the time to figure out the Quadrajet carbs 35 years ago and have the best drivability and performance combination going ........ period.
    You can find a but load of keyboard tuners who will say otherwise, but ........ you know the rest of that story.

You can put a Q-jet on anything, you can get them dirt cheap and FREE .... you just need to know and understand the carb. Anything you buy from any aftermarket carb manufacture is at best a compromise on your engine, it will not be spot-on in the tune for your engine.

Maybe I should write a book ......... naw, nobody reads anymore, they want it all figured out for them and on a 15 second youtube video.

I must be getting old ...

65fordguy likes this.
  24. AHotRod

AHotRod

65fordguy likes this.
  25. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Write it, lots of folks will buy your book, I am one! This is a great topic. Not trying to hijack... The higher flowing 60s Caddy and Buick 4bbl q-jets are hard to find and so is info about them.

26. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Im finding that youtube videos are less informative and more general. I've been going back to old books like the ones at book stores ( which are available online now! ) and going through them. lot of good info. some skewed.