Register now to get rid of these ads!

Summit ignition systems (any good?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by totalrod2, May 11, 2010.

1. totalrod2

totalrod2
    from York, SC

I've been looking at getting either a MSD 6AL or the Mallory Hyfire 6AL. Then I received a Summit flyer in the mail today and saw this:
    [​IMG]It's a lot cheaper than the others. I was just wondering, has anyone else used the Summit ignitions? Are they any good? And can they be used with an MSD distributor? Any info would be great.
    Bryan

2. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

I always assumed Summit copied the succesfull brands, never had a change to use any of their own stuff though... I'd like to hear some experiences too!

3. I am curious as the why you want a 6AL in the first place? Race car? I have seen so many of those things on cars that just don't really need them that i am always skeptical. Just wondering why.

4. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

One thing I found out on a funky distributor is that if you buy Summit brand it is guaranteed for 1 year.
    If you buy MSD brand from Summit it's only 6 months.

5. Drive Em

Drive Em

The Summit 6A style ignition box is made by MSD in the U.S.A. in El Paso,Tx. I know for a fact because I toured the MSD plant last week and they were building the Summit ignition box. They use the exact same components as the MSD 6A series of ignitions.

6. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

Ha! I knew it :D!!!

I'm betting they do that with more than just this ignition box... Thanks for sharing!

7. johnnykck

johnnykck

Most of the Summit stuff is a big brand name item that has been relabeled and sold for less. I've bought a lot of Summit brand stuff and never had a problem, they have great customer service as well. I've never used the ignition system though, but I would have no problems buying one if I needed one.

8. Drive Em

Drive Em

Summit does it with air filters as well, as I have bought the Summit brand, and they came with K&N literature and instructions. A buddy of mine bought a set of Summit dsc brakes for his '65 Mustang, and they were Stainless Steel Brakes Corp brakes.

Check this article out from Fordmuscle.com:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2010/04/PrivateLabeling/index.php

9. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

If you buy the 6AL anniversery addition from MSD, it is guaranteed for LIFE.

10. Not surprising, but that is different than the box in question here. Total different design.

11. Drive Em

Drive Em

It's the exact same ignition box, part number 850610.

12. The 850610, which is the box that the OP showed is not the same as a 6A box. The 6A is analog with no rev limiter, the 850610 is Digital with a potentiometer style rev limiter. It's not the same as a 6AL either.

13. I used a 6AL on my '57 ford w/a 406" sbc because I used a radical stock car grind cam and the 6AL eliminated the fouled plugs from street driving. And. I payed $100 for the whole set-up: box, dist, coil, and wires from a friend.

Attached Files:

14. Nothing wrong with them, it just seems that lots of guys buy them that don't need them because they have to have the Ricky Racer parts. Sounds like yours was possibly needed.

15. Truckedup

Truckedup

I messed with a Mallory multi spark box triggered by points in my modified 302 GMC inline.It made a noticable improvent in mid range power but no more power at full throttle.Later on I modified a later GM HEI distributor and it performed the same as the Mallory CD box. Disclaimer;your results may be different.

16. Drive Em

Drive Em

I may have mis-quoted the nomenclature, but MSD is building the 850610 that is pictured at the top of this post.

17. That I will buy into, but it is NOT the same as a 6A or 6AL box :D

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have one of the previous generations of non-rev-limiter ignition boxes. I know it was made by Mallory, because it is printed on the circuit board.

Even the PDF's of the instructions were identical, less the logos.

If you look at the PDF's of the manual of this new box, and those of some of the MSD stuff, the clip art, tables, fonts, and much of the layouts are the same.

19. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

ROD...we went with M.S.D. and i'll tell you the distributer is the best i've seen. but anything with the summit brand is good. hell brother have you seen their new carbs. man i was shocked at the quality...POP.

20. So you have run one of their carbs or just seen the pictures?

21. totalrod2

totalrod2
    from York, SC

Thanks to everyone who responded (19 messages....I sure as hell wasn't expecting that!). So I guess it's safe to say this is a decent product. I didn't know Summit was making carbs too. If they're cheaper than Edelbrock, that might be worth looking into too.
    Bryan

22. Raunchy

Raunchy

I have used 3 of their boxes and 2 were complete systems with Dist.. All working great and no problems. Good stuff to me

23. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I have a earlier Summit made by Mallory box in my '70 Challenger, so when I went to go buy another box I skipped over the Summit one you posted and got another Mallory for the Model A (triggered by the coil distributor with the box hidden under the dash).

Don't forget to get an uber-badass coil and wires to go with it, the whole ignition system needs to work together like a team. The best box in the world is still limited by crappy spark plug wires.

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen to that, El Scotto. It all has to be the good stuff.