Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Summit Epoxy Primer (Sum-up230)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flip, Jan 26, 2015.

1. flip

flip

Am wondering if anyone has used this product. Am in the process of building an everyday driver/shop 34 Ford Truck. Am planning on painting it a Black Satin. The APPEALING part of this product is it is advertised to be free of lead chromate and isocyanates. Many years ago I became exposed and sensitized to isocyanates. Even though I now use a fresh air breathing system, I still do not like dealing with isocyanates. In addition, I have a detached workshop but have neighbors within a couple hundred feet, so am cautious of putting too many of those fumes into the air. I am not sure how good this product might be and am also aware going forward that it would be best to use all Summit compatible paint products if I start with their primer. So question is, is this product and their other paint products a decent choice for this type of build. Thanks in advance all responses.

2. Do they also have ISO free paint?

Never shot their epoxy so I can't say. The chromates and ISOs is what makes epoxy so tough isn't it?

I've shot their SS and BC/CC, and it exceeded my expectations. It's Kirker brand stuff.

3. flip

flip

Not sure about their paint being ISO free. But yes that was my impression also, that the ISO's and chromates was what made all paint products so tough. Will do a little investigating on the paint. Good to hear about your satisfaction with the SS and BC/CC paints. Thanks for the insights.

4. I don't know of any Epoxys that have ISO's in them it is generally not part of their make up.

5. Is that just generalized boiler plate verbiage on the MSDS sheets ?

6. flip

flip

K-13, after further investigation you appear to be correct in most cases. Most catalyst for epoxy doesn't appear to have ISO'S in them, but then I guess some do. Am not a paint expert and have been away from it for a while, going on what others have said. PPG is suppose to have the epoxy primer free of ISO's. To be on the safe side, I guess you need to read the sheets to see what does and doesn't contain the ISO's. Thanks for your insight.

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Whoa! Just because it is free of Iso's doesn't mean it is safe, by any means! It is still a very dangerous material to breathe in, or absorb through the skin. Exposure to epoxy can eventually make you sensitive to it, and the effects are not pleasant. Besides the other toxic effects. It can happen on your second exposure, or your 5oth. No predicting. You need to take the same precautions as any Iso hardened paint. And it stinks just about as bad, too, so your neighbors will still not appreciate it.