Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suicide Knobs are Fancy? What do you think...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stutz, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Suicide Knobs are fancy, I like them. We just finished mine. Show off yours and tell me if you think they are stupid and illegal, or awesome.

heres mine.

My buddy T-rev here on the HAMB used his fancy skills in collegiate machine class and knocked out this sweet suicide knob for my Buick. I bought the spinner with out a knob and had this in mind. The Knob itself was a solid chunk of aluminum. We used a mint 1954 D Wheat Penny and after he did his machining he pressed it in the center. Turned out pretty cool. I turned my Copper brake pedal on the same machine he used 4 years again. seems pretty fitting.

check it out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres my brake pedal from a few moons back

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My copper brake pedal is visible in this photo.
    (pretend my soon to be hidden CD player is not in the picture, haha)

Now I think I will have to do a matching shift knob.

2. K and K

K and K

I think its good, the fact that you made it and didnt order it from a catalog, embodies the spirit of hot rodding IMHO

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I understand they are illegal in most states... but since they haven't been used great numbers in many years, I doubt you'd get busted by some young cop who has no idea what it is. Besides, it's a period accessory on an older car, right? You're just restoring it! Looks nice. Gary

4. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

I like it, looks good! I never had one in a car but sure used the heck out of them on the old farm tractors. I can't remember if they are still illegal in IL or not, but most of the young coppers I know would have no idea what it is. :D

5. lawman

lawman

Heres one I made out of an old Bath room door knob !!!! LOL Tom (Tired Old Man)

Attached Files:

6. sololobo

sololobo

Beautiful work, I love suicide knobs. I got an ealry lesson on the danger they possess. This happened on a tractor, not a car big difference inthe ability of the front wheel ability to go 90 degrees in a instant hitting a rut. we were mowing hay and my employer hit a gopher hole and the knob shattered his wrist. Although cars are quite as risky you need a whole different perspective of driving with them. I was such a gadget slut, I would put one on my car just for a show, had the busty naked blonde 1950' style, I liked it a lot. Enjoy put respect that baby. ~sololobo~

7. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

That's pretty cool! You should insert a buffalo nickel or liberty dime in the pedal.

8. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Very nice, and great talent too.
    I also like your brake pedal.......
    Love those old knobs....I still have one that I had in high school back in 1960....

9. Thanks everyone for the comments. I think I am going to try and put a quarter in the shift knob. I'll use the same theme of 1954 coinage

heres my gas pedal that i made along with the brake pedal. Just havent attached it.

[​IMG]

There was a place in Denver (you Dtown boys will know) off of Santa Fe I think, the guys had a rack on the wall with probably 50 vintage brody knobs. He wouldnt sell them, but they were cool to see.

10. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

What is the clamp that goes around the wheel ?

11. HoldFastSTL

HoldFastSTL

12. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Ya gotta have a suicide knob... How else you gonna turn in and outta yur space at the local drive-in and keep your right arm around your best girl???

13. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Love mine use all the time....
    [​IMG]

14. HRod 50

HRod 50

Why were these illegal in any state?

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I think because they could easily get caught in the cuff of your shirt, contributed greatly to oversteering and they "enticed" folks to drive with one hand on the wheel.

16. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

17. donnie

donnie
    from NC

I thought they were outlawed because many of them were cheap POSs and while turning the knob, the knob would break off causing an accident.

18. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the 40's & early 50's, we called them "BRODY KNOBS". They were a HOT selling item at PEP BOYS auto, Western auto, etc.------------Don

19. .C.D.O.

.C.D.O.
    from APT

I made mine out of an old bullet skate wheel and some old bike parts.

[​IMG]

20. Illegal for 2 reasons, cant have those on the wheel and misuse/destruction of federal property (i.e. the penny).

But still really sweet! I like!

21. T-rev

T-rev

Even though i pressed the in a penny, i didn't really destroy the penny. It can still be removed and used. And the suicide knob is a fantastic addition to the steering wheel especially since i made it by hand as a gift to a fellow HAMBer.

22. T-rev

T-rev

I'm pretty sure the cops wont say anything since its on a hot rod and not a newer vehicle.:D heck if there stopping you for that. The cops obviously have nothin better to do then harass us.

23. Tony B

Tony B

I think it looks great and you did a really nice job ! I love the brake pedal too ! Wish I could make something that nice !

24. T-rev

T-rev

.C.D.O. That is a way cool idea for one i like that alot.

25. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

Destruction/defacement of US currency only applies to fraudulent intent. When you have money it's your property, you can do with it what you want, until you try to pass it off as something more than it is/was. I can burn a stack of $100 bills if I want.

26. T-rev

T-rev

Thanks Tony B. I really enjoy machining and it just takes practice like anything else. But the fact that you can put your personal touch makes it that much more fun.

27. T-rev

T-rev

Ah i see your point Edsel Presley but its just not as cool without the penny (especially since its a 1954 and the Buick is as well). But i guess its a risk will have to take to be different

28. They are OK I guress. A good way to loose a thumb or finger I suppose. For my part I liike to look at them but they are mostly just in the way.

Yours is cool.

29. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

i like mine & if the cops want it , they will have to pry my dead hand off it.
    the end .

30. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

i think they look awesome.
    great job