Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suicide Front End...yay or nay?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy13, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jalopy13

Jalopy13
    from Dayton,Oh

I am trying to decide weather or not to run a suicide front end on my 40 ford p/u! What do you guys think? Does it ride good, or bad? Good on freeway or no!

2. Crankhole

Crankhole

3. roddinron

roddinron

What do you mean by a suicide front end? If you're talking about moving the axle forward beyond the front of the frame, I guess your thinking of running a 40 ford truck without fenders, which sounds ugly to me.

4. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

So many factors...Alot depends on how well its made.

5. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

I'm running a spring behind setup on a stock model a frame under my 32 Chevy 5 window and it stretches the wheel base out and give my car kind of a drag car low and long look and i like it!!!!!

EDIT: i am also using the stock crossmember and have not and am not going to cut off the front frame horns!!!!

6. Hmmmm, tires will not line up in the fenderwells then? I say ratrod bullshit, a 40 PU is one of the best looking trucks ever made, build it with all the tin like it SHOULD BE BUILT. Fuck up a 46 Dodge if you want a fenderless POS.

7. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

I bet ya have a tractor grill all picked to go with it also?

8. joebuick

joebuick

hahaha

9. hemi

hemi

What the hell is going on with this place, lately?

With so much other junk out there, who would fuck up a '40 Ford pickup?

10. retromotors

retromotors

Someone called .....??

Attached Files:

• mr_1.jpg
      mr_1.jpg
      File size:
      31.2 KB
      Views:
  11. Jalopy13

Jalopy13
    from Dayton,Oh

well lets see, im a broke ass kid who does bodywork and paint for a living, but all my parts are mainly being givin to me, including the cab and the parts that I got with it, so what I have to build is what was givin to me! Deal with it.

12. Jalopy13

Jalopy13
    from Dayton,Oh

I have a whole roller together pretty much and have 0 Dollars in it, just trading work for parts, and thats how im gonna do the whole damn thing!

13. with the right setup, I think it could be pretty cool
    should get it low enough

14. Brandi

Brandi

I vote 'nay' based on aesthetics. Don't ruin a gorgeous front end with a suicide front. Blech.

15. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

My car isn't and never will be a RR!!!! As soon as i can get a decent job again and get on my family back on our feet i plan on having the body work done and the car shot in Shiny metal flake blue with a white fire wall and a set of Radir Cheaters out back.

16. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

seriously....watch craigslist for fenders, if you're a body man you should be able to score some rough ones cheap. That truck would be gorgeous with the fenders. It might take a month or two more to put together, but in the long run, it won't be like every other "rat truck" out there.

17. hemi

hemi

Then you should trade for the right parts or ask your rat rod questions on the Ol' Skool board....

It's yours, you can do what you want with it, but if you ask questions on a public board, you will get public answers, and rat-rodding a '40 Ford into a fenderless bobber is probably not within the lines of the forum you are asking in. Deal with that.

To avoid flack in the future, simplify: Do suicide front ends track well on the highway? Any problems with them on something a little heavier than a T-bucket?

Simple, no fuss. Good luck.

18. See below, if you are that far ahead already, parlay your skills and connections into building a nice truck, not some OSR abortion.

19. phukinartie

phukinartie

Why do people ask for opinions then bitch and whine about the replys??
    I think that truck would look like SHIT ..But hey party on dude and be sure and post pics that will show us naysayers!

20. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

Look...fenderless trucks newer than 1934 are like dudes dressing up to look like chicks. They might look like traditional hot rods from a distance, but as you get up close and personal, you realize that they have adam's apples, hair in strange places, and curves in the wrong places.

Very few "bobber" trucks have the right proportions and can pull off the look.

Serously, if you want a fenderless truck, watch craigslist, I just saw a model a pickup cab in MN for $100. 1940 fords without fenders might as well be a $30 trany hooker in east dayton.

21. 61TBird

61TBird

Please don't....

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

sounds RATTERIFIC

23. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Kinda harsh :D I guess it keeps out all the undesirables though. I dont want anyone ratrodding a 46 powerwagon, that piss me the hell off. Go fuck up a chevy

24. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

It'd be worth alot more $$$ stock!
    not that your not building it to enjoy it but if you ever want to get something out of it. You might have a different perspective on things when your older. i'd advise if you wanted to do something radical with it do it with extra stuff and keep the good stuff for later. plan it like your going to restore it to stock someday and you can't go wrong.
    100_1397.jpg RodVan.jpg rodvan on chassis.jpg

I wanted to build something like your talking but got to looking at what I was going to spend on a cab and would still have to cut it up...kick the firewall foreward a foot or more so I can fit in it...chop and channel..stretch the frame so the engine is in front of the new firewall and kick the front end out in front of the frame to make it longer still...
    but I don't want to hack up an original so i'm.... I'm thinking of building a cab from the doorframes and flat panels of this van. did a quick hack photoshop chop to see what it might look like and no-one will cry for the departed van
    Why??? like you said just some stuff I had for just about nothing.
    One word PLAY
    Did you ever notice yet that the people who become great don't give a flying fruitbat about what anyone thinks and the people who are trying to be special never make it
    The only people who really care about how your image affects you is your folks and best friends. everyone else that cares about your image is going to be wrapped up in how your image makes them look compared to who they want to be.
    people can get upset when you don't subscribe to their scene. They think you don't care about them when really you don't care about their jacket.
    If you walked around with a stack of pancakes on your head, only other people wearing pancakes would understand and everyone else without pancakes would be pissed
    Your a mortal, you won't ever be an establishment. An image is flat, a 2 dimensional snapshot of history or an idea. Don't be an image, be an event.

P.S. these guys here might sound kinda harsh but they care about you not making an ass of yourself and anyone else with an old car and they don't want to see something nice and irreplaceable ruined beyond repair

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  25. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

get over yourself

On a truck NO,,car or dragster fine

26. bobscogin

bobscogin

You asked for an opinion on whether or not you should do it. If a suicide front end the only thing you can put together because you can't afford parts and have to use what you're given for free, why the hell ask for opinions?? Deal with that. My opinion by the way, is don't.

Bob

27. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

You are asking that question in the wrong place.

Do whatever you want. That's my opinion.

Obviously nobody on here has tried to find '40-41 truck fenders lately. GOOOOOOD Luck!!! You are not going to find them. Car fenders won't fit either, don't let some "Expert" tell you they will... Thats BS.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

28. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

you should ratrod that hotrod stationwagon you got there !phukinartie!that things the sheet!

29. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

WOW, your actually thinking of building a fenderless 40 ford pick up.... That would be ratrodariffic. Nothing, NOTHING, newer than 1934 should be fenderless.

30. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

ok ,getting back to the question at hand.ive had both types under my cars,i prefer the spring over with crossteering.just feels better to me but the suicide was ok,not scary if done correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.