Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Suggestions on New England shop to put flames on my '40

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olcurmdgeon, Jan 21, 2016.

1. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Well been a year since I had the '40 completely stripped of the old checked flaking lacquer and repainted with urethane base coat, clear coat. We have decided that it needs flames again as it was before the paint job. The shop that repainted the car did a great job but they didn't want anything to do with flames. So since we were 50/50 at the time, we rolled with that. Now it seems to us a '40 without flames is like a day without sunshine. Any thoughts on someone in New England area, bearing in mind we don't want to have the car disappear into some shop for months to get them done. Thanks.

2. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

This is what the car looked like when we bought it.
    1940 FORD COUPE 015.jpg

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

You asked for suggestions, here's mine. Never have been a fan of fake flames (whats the point? everyone knows they are fake) or nineties graphics. That 40 was meant to stay solid black

4. Slopok

Slopok

As I've stated in another thread, no car is more suited or wears a Flame Job as well as those do!

5. GregCT.

GregCT.
    from CT.

Very reputable and old school guys. ;)Lowreys in Tilton, N.H. Jim Sr. and Jim Jr.

http://www.lowreysautorestoration.com/

So what's wrong with a few months free heated storage?:rolleyes:

I don't think he is taking a poll on whether to do it or not. It's his car.

Frankie47 and oldcars.acadia like this.
  6. Slopok

Slopok

In my opinion, Real Flames would be MUCH WORSE! :eek:

JimSibley, VANDENPLAS, TagMan and 3 others like this.
  7. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

8. Wait, so you are a fan of real flames on a car?

I am going to stay tuned in. Good to learn of places like this in my area.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Flames have never done anything for me. Probably the last thing I'd ever put on a car. You don't have to agree.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    lowrd likes this.
  10. mike bowling

mike bowling

This from a guy that lives in a place called Possum Crotch. Right. LOL

............... And I like flames, but not flamers!

I tried to PM or e-mail O.P. some info. I don't want to post publically, but you are in major lockdown security wise.?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Kelsey Martin on the North Shore in Massachusetts.

RODIST likes this.
  12. Times 2;Kelsey does some fantastic flames.PM me for his contact info.
    I'll second that. Kelsey has probably done more flames that any other person I know of;except maybe Paul Hatton or Sam Radoff, and they aren't in New England. I worked with Kelsey starting back in the late 1960's and his flames are great.PM me if you need his contact info. Here is a pic of one he did in the early 1970's. Kelseys1st34Coupe.jpg

RODIST and exterminator like this.
  13. mike bowling

mike bowling

And Kelsey wins by a landslide!!
    I also recommended him ( like he needs it) but didn't want to put his name out in the thread- he's kind of a private famous person!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Bill Roell, Indiana.

IMG_0114.JPG

exterminator likes this.
  15. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

16. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

Ohio Flames, Wade Hughes, he's the best around

17. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Well anxiously awaiting getting the car back. I contacted several people by doing internet and facebook searches for custom painting, striping and flames. Most never replied. Funny, these people have "contact me" on their websites with an address but when you send a message, it must go to a black hole. Anyway in January I got a response from Dennis Day, D-Day Designs, in Sterling, MA. We chatted a couple of times by email and then on the phone. Dennis had several flame jobs on his website so could see his ability. He is however, a traveling artist. Willing to come to your shop to do the lettering, striping, or whatever. Since I am a caregiver for my wife, we now live in a rental condo, no garage. But Dennis had a solution. His brother is the house painter for Wilson and Steely Coachworks, in Athol, MA. So just recently I took the '40 down to Athol. Dennis did the flames and the striping. We chose to go old school, red, orange and yellow, with no metallic or pearls. This coupe was built in the 70s so it seemed to fit the bill. I did provide Dennis with a idea of what I wanted, using this picture I found online. Richie at Wilson and Steely is doing the clear coat and wet sand/buff out after Dennis is done. One major issue for me was not having the car lanquish in a shop someplace indefinetly, we have all heard horror stories about how long it takes some tradesmen to turn a project around. Amazingly my coupe will be done in a week, just as I discussed with Dennis and Steve (Wilson and Steely).
    140323963.jpg
    However this coupe had a louvered hood. Ironically even though I own half interest in a GoodTimes louver press with my buddy Dick LeClair (DJ's Louver Service in Exeter, NH), I have no louvers in my hood so I wanted the hood flamed somewhat differently than this one. Here is a shot of the car after it was scuffed and taped. I will do some pictures this weekend of the finished job. So far I am very pleased.
    20160509_145729.jpg

VANDENPLAS, Baron, Moriarity and 11 others like this.
  18. Welcome back to the dark side! :)

lothiandon1940 and olcurmdgeon like this.
  19. exterminator

exterminator

Nothing says (HOT ROD) on any car like flames and louvers-especially forty fords! My opinion but I am old school.:)

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    lothiandon1940 and olcurmdgeon like this.
  20. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

21. belair

belair

Flame on! Great car, with or without them.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. Latigo

Latigo

Good design choice. The coupe looks great with or without. Flames that are well done look incredible. Always liked them but have never been able to make the leap on my own cars. May have to rethink that.

23. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Well just got back for Athol, MA. Couldn't be more pleased with the outcome. Here is a picture of the missus and the car today, waiting for transport. Dennis Day, of D-Day Design in Sterling, MA really captured the spirit of what I wanted. My first look brought me back to the flames on McMullen's roadster years ago. This picture doesn't do them justice as the camera washes out the orange to yellow fades and makes it seem much more yellow than it is. Tomorrow, weather gods permitting, I'll take some outside and see what happens. I thought Dennis's bill was a fair one and well within the parameters of what we discussed. And Wilson and Steely, what can I say. Amazing we set this up, seven days between arrival and departure on the coupe, where else could I get that? Big shout out to Rich, the painter, great guy. Car was washed and ready today just as promised.
    007.JPG

24. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful. My mind, too, immediately thought of the McMullen - how did that '32 roadster turn into a '40 coupe? And it's always great to see a smiling lady with a hot rod.

vic

25. 30TudorSedan

30TudorSedan

Subscribed. Looking forward to more pictures! Can't go wrong with a black 40 with flames! Going back and forth with adding them to mine.

26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Looks great! congrats!

27. I don't know Dennis but I have to congratulate him on a great job!

Baron likes this.
  28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking forward to more photos, that looks great!

29. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

So today it is sunny and high 70s, here are some pictures. Again props to Dennis Day (D-Day Designs of Sterling, MA) for the artwork and to Wilson and Steely who did the clear and the wet sand and buff. All, most impressively, in seven days per our request!
    007.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG

30. exterminator

exterminator