Register now to get rid of these ads!

suggestions for rotating assembly and cam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnk320, Jul 27, 2010.

1. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

I've got a 327 block that I'll have overbored 0.030. I have remanned double-hump 2.02 heads. I want to make a high compression ( 11.0 or 12.0) and low-end torque. I'll be putting into a 55 Chev with MFI (Hilborns). I want a rotating assembly that fulfills the above requirements, uses H-beam rods and is not real costly (I'd like to spend $1K or less on the entire RA).

As for a cam - I wanted to find an Isky 505 Magnum to keep with a real nostalgic theme but haven't found one in the past year so I'll give in and look for a commercially available one. Any suggestions here???

Thanks,
    JohnK

2. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

Well, I just called Summit to get a price. I now know why there have been no replies to my post yet.

For a 0.030 over RA I was quoted $2700! A little off of my "under $1K" requirement! I'm going to call Jeg's next and see what they say, then an engine guy in town here to get a couple comparisons. I'll keep you posted on my quest...

Looks likeI may have to loose up the ol' purse strings a bit...

3. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

For pump gas use, is your compression a little high? I thought 9 or 10 to one was about the max on 93 octane pump gas.

4. If you want cheap get the crank out of a 307, if you are small journal you'll have to have the journals turned. Knife edge, polish yourself.
    Gun drilling and an balancing will run you around 2-300 dollars. Another 100 or so for turning.

Buy aftermarket rods and pistons (prior to balancing).

You'll still only have a 327 but you should come pretty close to your grand.

If torque is what you're after get a 350 crank you can still find them in steel. Do the same as above. That'll net you 355 cubes.

Contact Raven, he's got a stack of vintage racing cams. Some Iskys, an M/T etc. From mild to wild. maybe if he's in a good mood he'll hook you up.

Grins -- :D:D

Benno

5. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

Update....
    I called Jeg's. They told me they didn't have ANY RAs for a 327 (331). Their suggestions was to bore/stroke it to 350/383 and buy a RA for that size!

Benno - thanks for the ideas! I'll be sure to contact Raven.

6. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

It's not so much that I want "to go cheap" but I am on a budget. I have only so much money to work with but I want to build a good, safe, hi power motor. If it means I need to save more and wait longer, so be it.

7. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

Benno -

This is a '69 block so it's a large journal. I was thinking about your suggestion of using a 307 or 350 crank. Are both these cranks LJ? I talked to a guy last night who said the $2700 price wasn't out of line for a 327 RA 30 over with forged alum pistons. Like I said, I just want to build a good, stout motor w/o having to sell the kids...

Tom -

I guess my desired CR is alittle ambitious... how about 10:1???

8. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

Update....
    I found a 307 crank. Picking it up tomorrow. Now for the pistons, rods, bearings, etc.

9. Badass

Badass

I have some 12:1 compression Keith Black 30 over pistons out of a 350 you can have for $125.