Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Suggestions for rebuilding a 235

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RUSS BUCKLIN, Jun 1, 2018.

1. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Hi Board,

Bought a '53 235 to replace the 216 in my 50 Fleetline Deluxe. The head and block go to the machine shops today; Action Machine and Autosport in Seattle for the block and head respectively.

I'm looking for suggestions on things to do to help the overall performance, reliability and longevity of the motor. I have Leo Santucci's book and am looking for suggestions based on real world experience.

Thanks all!

Russ

2. Reliable is your most logical choice on it. If it is going to make power it is going to be a time bomb they are just not a power house.

Build it stock and throw a set of splits on it and call it a hot rod.

1964countrysedan and Johnny Gee like this.
  3. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why do you have two threads started with the same question?

4. LAROKE

LAROKE

This is my solution but it's not everybody's cup of hi-test.

[​IMG]

5. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Like Beaner said, if you're after a nice cruiser then stock is the way to go. They'll run for nearly ever and be dead reliable.

Years ago I did a 235 in a '53 I had. .30 over with rebuilt head and away I went. I put three problem-free (other than charging issues) years on that car driving it nearly every day there wasn't snow and last I heard she was still going somewhere up north. Had I had some extra $$$ I would have slapped some headers on it for the sound and maybe a cool dual intake and called it good but as it was it took me where I needed to go.

6. Hellfish

Hellfish

There are a few good hop up books on the topic. Both are reprints of 1953/4 editions and available on Amazon. One by "California Bill" Fisher and the other by Roger Huntington

tractorguy likes this.
  7. KenC

KenC

Depends on the exact 53 235 you have. There were two, a babbitt rod 235 that came with standard shift cars. And, full pressure, inserted rod 235 that is essentially the same as the 54-62 version. That one will provide more reliability will have more after market parts support. I'd leave the first one dead stock, the second can be improved and not lose its' durability.

tractorguy likes this.
  8. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. For reliabilty go with a 55 or later block for full oil pressure. the engine in my avitar which is in my 4 coupe is a 57 that has the following modifications - bored 0.060 with flat top iron pistons, Clifford 268 grind cam with their solid lifters, heavy springs, hardened valve seats to last with modern unleaded fuel, new oil pump, basically everything inside engine is new except crank which was turned & balanced. external on engine is Clifford dual intake with two 2 barrel Weber carbs & Orbit cast aluminum offset air cleaners, Clifford shorty headers, Thikstun valve cover (Chrome one shown in avitar), Langdon HEI Dizzy, 12 volt system with total rewire & 100 amp chrome alternator, Vintage Air system, and had just completed changing to a T350 3 speed auto Tranny & 57 Chevy pickup rear end that has same bolt pattern as my 46 rims with a 307 ratio for Hwy driving and better MPG. Also added r tube shocks but had to also leave front originals and parallel the new ones as arm on originals are also top control arms on independent front suspension for 46. Had it back on the road for just 2 days and got rear ended and made a mess out of it. At least I am walking and talking after that. Still waiting for ins appraiser to come up with a parts total and a value for trying to get it repaired.
    The Thikstun cover is shown in LAROKE's post above. Wish I had the matching finned cover.
    Good luck with your build. Jimmie

9. squirrel

squirrel

that book you have is for the later model engines, not the 235, eh?

A quality stock rebuild will last a long time, if done right and taken care of, and you don't expect a lot of performance.

How many miles do you plan to put on this thing, anyways?

10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I replaced the stock 216 in my '37 Chevy coupe with a 235 built to stock dimensions 20+ years ago and have driven all over the USA & into Canada and the only problem I've ever had with it was a leaking carburetor float once which I fixed on the road (had a spare carb with me) and the transmission shift lever spring hold-down, which I had my son-in-law ship a replacement via next day air to me and I fixed installed it in the parking lot of the hotel. Great little engine, IMO.

Old-Soul likes this.
  11. Paint_Rep

Paint_Rep

I’m encountering my first experiment with a 235 (61 Biscayne) and mine runs so quiet and smooth it’s ridiculous. After thorough carb tuning, timing, and compression check (130-135 lbs on all cylinders), the 235 is the freaking most lazy engine I’ve ever owned. I’m a die hard Chevy guy, and I’ve had several 230, 250, and SBC’s in anything from trucks, Impalas and Novas, and the 235 while obviously crazy durable, don’t get out of its own way. If I was wanting originality, I than keep it. It will run forever. But for same or less money, I’m running through a 67 250 and TH350 to swap in mine...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. My 235 is 060 over with a milled head
    Fun simple and reliable
    Put over 50k miles on it before I tore the truck down for a resto
    Plans are to add a 5spd and a dual carb set up
    355 gears was perfect
    Dang I miss driving that truck

Budget36 likes this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

I agree...I used a 3:54 Dana under my '59 PU..man I wanted OD...but pulled just fine and no lag...I'd might of thought of going o 3.23 or so, with a T5 because of a usable 1st gear...heck, maybe higher gears...but never had the chance to try it out.

14. Ran 60-65 all day long. Can’t wait to play with an OD
    Thought about an OD from 50s gm I run across one every now and then