Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sub-carpet floor padding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evs1, Feb 26, 2012.

1. evs1

evs1

So I pulled the carpet back on a truck I got a while back, (always have to take stuff apart), and it seems I have a windshield leak that has drenched the factory jute padding and rusted the floor badly with a few pinholes starting. After I fix the floor I want to put the carpet back with some sort of padding-sound deadner so I looked at Dynamats site and OH MY GAWD that stuff is expensive. Anyone have an alternative I could use? I don't care so much about the padding as the sound deadner. Thanks.

2. slammed

slammed

Do the search with key words like: Sound deadener, dynamat, peel and stick, ect. Plenty of guys have used many combination's for great and inexpensive results.

3. crazydays

crazydays

4. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Just go down to your local lowes, menards, home depot and get yourself some roof sealer.
    Some of it comes in 4inch rolls and sticks really good!
    Ive been useing it for years, way cheaper than dynomat!

5. Weasel

Weasel

FatMat - same as Dynamat but half the price - found mine on evilBay....

6. evs1

evs1

Just went to the FatMat site. Looks like the way to go. Thanks guys.

7. johnod

johnod

8. Lizard skin is awesome stuff as well.

9. DukeFarm76

DukeFarm76

Vintique makes jute padding that you can generally find for about $30 a roll. I believe it is 4' x 6'. Enough to do a firewall, anyway. Even if you are doing Dynamat, you still probably want to replace the jute. I agree that Lizard Skin is pretty awesome stuff, but you will need a special gun to spray it. The company makes a gun that's fairly inexpensive, or you can get away with an undercoating or shutz gun. Evercoat makes Dynamat-type material called Q-Pads that are quite a bit less expensive than real Dynamat and still work just as well. I've never used Fatmat so I can't give an opinion on that one. Hope this helps a bit.

10. evs1

evs1

The jute padding is the heart of my problems now. I don't want a sponge under there.