Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stupid Welder! (I mean the equipment, not me)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blackmaria60, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Finally getting down to metalwork on my car, and using my Lincoln Mig. After maybe 5mins, the cable starts getting pushed out of the welder housing. I have to shove it back in, go a couple mins then of course the wire turns into the business end of a Concertina! :mad:

I shall overcome...

2. what kind of lincoln?

3. should be a locking set screw on there- is it tight? or missing? do you have a wiper on the wire or has the liner gotten full of wire spounge? may need to replace the liner if so, then use the felt wiper

4. The drive wheel is too tight. Loosen the nut up until the wire just barely won't slip.

5. BM, do this test, hold your gun about 6 inches from a piece of would like a 2 by 4, at a small angle like your welding. Pull and hold your trigger, the wire should come out, hit the wood and start to turn up and coil like a giant curly fry. You could need a new liner, new tip, or simple adjustment of tension, good luck, TR :D

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

are you saying its unraveling off the spool?

if so there is a tensioner for the spool holder..tighten it up a bit so the spool doesnt unravel

7. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

machine is the welder
    you are the weldor

8. Does your machine require a adapter for the size spool of wire you are using?. I only know Miller and Hobart welders, and we have a small piece that you put behind the spool when changing from a 11# to a 2# spool of wire. Helps keep the wire aligned before entering the feed mechanism. Some people have feed isues with import spools like from H/F, inconsistencies in diameter, I dont know what wire you have, just a thought. TR

9. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Thanks gang - I suspected the tension on the feed was too tight. The "spool is kool" on tension. Got this thing a few years ago, and really never got to use it a bunch until recently. It's as tho this is a personality quirk of the welder.

I, as a weldor, will go out and be successful in the morning!

10. Stupid refers to the thought process so if you computer is stupid then it can think and so it may be smarter than you give it credit for ... :D:D:D

11. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Darn you beat me.