Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stumped the experts so far, name this instrument cluster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55chevy, Sep 16, 2007.

1. 55chevy

55chevy

What is this? I asked AACA and got-I think this is pre-1931... the design reminds me of Beaux-Arts or Art Nouveau; not Moderne ("Art Deco"), which would probably be 1930 & later. Whatever it is, it's gorgeous.
    Says Stewart Warner in middle of speedo. From left to right, TEMP, OIL, SPEED/TOTAL/TRIP, AMPS, GAS. On very bottom of speedo is small cap letters: Stewart Warner Speedometer Cor'n, Chicago Made In USA Patented. On back of gas guage says IGN SW., has on back of speedo, Stewart Warner P33433 Whole panel is under one pane of glass. No numbers on any guage, just 4 sections on each one, Temp has "DANGER" under the 4th section, AMPS have discharge and charge, oil and gas have no numbers/words. On either side of lower center "hole" is what looks like provision for a cable pull, throttle and choke maybe.

Attached Files:

2. brewsir

brewsir

I don't know but damn that is one beautiful guage cluster/panel. I wish todays automobile manufacturers would study stuff like that (hint to chrysler and their crappy plastic cheapie looking dashes)

3. Notorious

Notorious

I have no idea. But feel free to send it to me for a closer look! :D
    That thing is friggin' gorgeous. :cool:

4. WOW!!!!!!! That is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!

Now we know how pinstriping on dashboards became popular.:D

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

6. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Desotos had pinstriping on them in the early days...not sure if thats a Desoto, but could be.

7. dbradley

dbradley

Are the gauges marked for the US market?

8. 55chevy

55chevy

No numbers on any guage, just 4 sections on each one, Temp has "DANGER" under the 4th section, AMPS have discharge and charge, oil and gas have no numbers/words, I would guess American or English market, I got it from a former boss that was in Africa, no idea where he got it, they had an antique shop. It is a beautiful guage set. It's on Ebay as wife is out of work and we have bills to pay or wouldn't sell it, user name chucksusie, thanks for spreading the word.

9. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

Could be willys knight/overland?

10. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

i would name it charlie.

11. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Is it from Captain Nemo's submarine?

12. 55chevy

55chevy

I go by Chuck, but my wife loves the name Charlie, too funny.
    I have been looking at cars on Ebay to find a matching guage cluster, no luck, this sucker is in a class by itself huh? Maybe it was from Wild Wild West with James West, designed by Artimous Gordon

13. 55chevy

55chevy

14. belair

belair

I wouldn't sell that thing till I knew what it came out of.

15. cruzr

cruzr

f.... Egay if ya got a buy it now price PM me

16. GrantH

GrantH

i wouldnt sell it til you know where it came from and just how much you should get for it. it could be VERY saught after.......or hardly saught after. I'd doubt the latter. I'd love to have something like that!

17. 72sst

72sst

Squirrel!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. See if you can scare up photos of 1928-29-30 Chrysler and DeSoto dashboards. It reminds me a bit of the one I have for '29 Dodge (I think, I need to pull the number off the coil and check in a 1934 catalog I have), but with a much fancier face on it.