Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Studebaker Lark Bagged Subframed Stock exterior

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbacca, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Stock-looking inside and out, dropped, upgraded suspension, and some extra horses underhood? You’re talking my language. The chop thing, though... enh.

2. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Master cylinder time. Our parts guy went OCD on finding a master that will fit under the floor like the factory one instead of remote fill.
    [​IMG]

Saved the factory fill hole so it can be reused when the new panel is made.
    [​IMG]

Master setup underneath. Rod is fully adjustable so the travel can be adjusted. It's a composite of two shots so the perspective is a little skewed.
    [​IMG]

Sanding down surface rust on the fenders
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Underside of the car with new driveshaft. Bleed the brakes and it's down to radiator and fuel cell.
    [​IMG]

3. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Thanks for the pics. Basically what I have. But my master cylinder brake lines are on the side away from frame. I was thinking of making some adapters to remove the plastic reservoir and mount remotes on firewall. :D

I used a universal 27" Chevy style, double pass, aluminum radiator. With little side mount trimming it fit like a factory unit

My inner fender well heater/air vents were stuffed solid with cotton and acorn nuts.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  4. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Fenders back on
    [​IMG]

Custom radiator has arrived. This fit inside the factory opening and clears the engine fan. 'Guaranteed to run cool' according to the gentleman that made it.
    [​IMG]

Spaced on getting brake booster shots today.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  5. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

I'm diggin' this car - if you're a working man that doesn't have every old Ford part known to man stashed in a barn, THIS is a "Jalopy" that is affordable.
    I came here because of the real hot rodding folks who have made this site what we're all here for. This type car has to hit the buttons for most real hot rodders - But, at least don't paint the old Gal!

6. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Thanks for the comments. Brad likes the feedback. Getting closer to going away.

Just add some radiator hoses and stamp done on that engine compartment
    [​IMG]

The custom radiator fit nicely in the core support
    [​IMG]

Master cylinder bump with the factory stude fill cover.
    [​IMG]

Electrical test. Everything is working so far.
    [​IMG]

Front sheetmetal mounts. Bumper mounted just add hood and body is done.
    [​IMG]

Few more things and test drive time.

7. very cool project!

8. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Back from exhaust. simple setup.
    Few more ticks off the list and its driving.

9. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Man I have a 32 29 and a 33 I also have a 62 studdy wagon and I think its great that you did something afordable .The wagon is gonna be for my son and his new bride they dont have alot of extra cash yet so I will help them with it thanks for showing how well the clip fits what rear did you use ours wont be on bags but maybe blocks and clip a coil . Thanks for not beating the same dog and I bought hemi stuff from the other guy !!

10. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Thanks Terry. The clip lined up surprisingly well with the factory frame. Outside is pretty flush then just added some sloping pieces on the inside to flow it together. Good luck on your project.

11. Nice overall result and that is certainly a sleeper. The S-10 clip looks like it worked out pretty easy and as you said, easy parts availability. Appears to be S-10 rearend as well?

12. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Yes it is a S10 rear. We tried to use parts that will be easy to service once it leaves the shop.

13. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Here are some shots from today. Car just needs the fuel cell to arrive and its ready to drive.

Cool Flex hoses for the radiator. Original hood prop found and reused.
    [​IMG]

The factory hood release was reused.
    [​IMG]

Hood closed stamp a done on that.
    [​IMG]

Thanks again for the comments.

14. wheels777

wheels777
    from York, PA

I really appreciate the Lark Project. We have two. The 1960 has a econoline axle and SBC installed in 1971. The other is a 63 that is slammed. The effort to make room for the trans and driveshaft is appreciated.

15. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Whats not to like about a sleeper,my favorite kind of cars.Hamb friendly IMO.

16. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

About the same as everyone else does on the HAMB.. Building a car..

I like what is being done... Studes are Cool...

17. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Well the car runs. Engine broken in and tuned. All lights and accessories are tested. Factory switches reused where possible.

Fuel cell was completed today so should be able to drive it tomorrow. It was made slightly deeper to give more capacity.

It will reuse the factory gas door.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again for all the comments. Hopefully have some happy owner shots this week.

18. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Some better shots of the cell in the light today
    [​IMG]
    The hole is for the sending unit for the gauge.
    [​IMG]

19. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Done

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fuel cell filler in the factory spot
    [​IMG]

Car fires right up drives great. The owner is going to cruise it around for the summer then bring it back for paint and interior.

Thanks for the comments. Any questions let me know

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  20. That is positively the coolest and cleanest build I've seen here in a while. Especially digging the 4-door look, adds to the sleeper thang....

Bob

21. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Test Drive time
    [​IMG]

Engine compartment pressure washed. Valves adjusted. Runs perfect now.
    [​IMG]

Some aired up shots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Paint the exposed fuel cell flat black so it blends in... can't give away any hints that it isn't a stocker...

Bob

23. I really, really like that, four doors and all. I agree, fuel cell should be painted. My first car was a 60 Lark wagon, so these have a place in my heart. Kudos for what looks to be a great job.

24. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

Very cool car! (even though it's a "more door")
    I totally agree, don't paint the outside, keep the stock wheels and definitely paint the bottom of the fuel cell. It sticks out like a sore thumb.
    Yeah, I would drive it.

25. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

We had the detailer come out and buff out the old paint. Shined up pretty good. The owner picked it up and is currently enjoying it. We'll see what he wants to do next after the summer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]