Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stuck Clutch Tips?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustm52, May 20, 2009.

1. Kustm52

Kustm52

Trying to get an off topic truck drivable.. '68 Ford F-500. Has been sitting for a few years, and the clutch is stuck.. anyone got any tips on how to remedy this without pulling the trans?

thanks,
    Brian

2. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

what exactly is stuck? Does the peddle not move, the fork?, does the motor turn over?

3. Drive it with the clutch on the floor 'til it frees up.
    Cosmo

4. Kustm52

Kustm52

Pedal moves, but clutch won't disengage. Driving it with it on the floor makes sense, but I've got to get it running first. Might be able to get it cranking and running in neutral, the crank it in gear.. only problem is brakes not working either...:rolleyes:

Brian

5. I wouldn't try driving for very long with the clutch pedal fully depressed as you will probably be installing a new thro-out bearing soon after. And it sounds as if you need to fix the brakes and make sure the thing will run before putting a lot of effort into the clutch. Once you get the other problems repaired I would look at the bottom of the bell housing and see if it has an inspection cover. If so remove the cover. Now you will have access to the flywheel and the clutch. Have someone depress the clutch pedal while holding the brakes that you fixed earlier. Now GENTLY tap a screw driver in between the flywheel and the clutch disc as it should pop loose.Drive it a little and shift it normally and it should buff the surface rust off of the flywheel all by itself. We have done this in the past with good reults >>>>.

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put it in high gear, have someone hold the clutch pedal down, then rock the pickup back and forth. If it's not stuck too bad it should pop it loose. If it doesn't, you're going to need a running engine and working brakes. On my 37 Buick I jacked up the rear, ran it in 3rd gear with the clutch pushed in, and tapped the brakes a few times. Worked like a charm......

7. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I soaked one once in WD-40. Let it sit over the weekend. Monday morning it was fine.
    Not the best idea to get friction materials oily, but it was a last resort.

8. myride2

myride2
    from canada

:phad a clutch disc stuck to flywheel,took awhile to free it up from flywheel using the engine.not sure bout the wd-40 trick but if u did a little Brakeclean it would evaporate takin most of the wd-40 with it,leaving the cluch disc free of oily residue,but if u happen to be a traditionalist maybe try BRYLCREEM:rolleyes:

9. S.F.

S.F.

when it is running ease it up to a tree, then work the clutch in and out in a couple different gears.... I DID THIS 2 TIMES and it works. But its violent, make sure its a big ass tree....and a strong front bumper

10. Taker off the cover on the bottom of the bell housing remove all 6 of the bolts holding the pressure plate to the fly wheel. Drive a wide thin putty knife between the clutch disc and the flywheel and or pressure plate as needed. Reassemble. While you are at it remove the mice nest that is more than likely there:eek:. the mice piss is what has caused rust and made it stick;). OldfWolf

11. Does a 68 F500 have a hydraulic clutch cylinder? Good idea to fix the brakes first!

12. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

just try to crank the engine over with the truck in gear....it should pop loose

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's gotta be quite a trick to "ease" it up to a tree if the clutch is stuck. So you're saying that you start the engine with the trans in gear, keep the clutch pedal pushed down, and run into a tree? Definitely a last resort if it's my truck.

On second thought, I wouldn't EVER do this......

14. Kustm52

Kustm52

UPDATE. Well, I had to try it... got the truck running, still no brakes..(how the hell do you bleed them when there are two wheel cylinders per wheel? but I digress..) cranked it in gear.. picked out the most solid looking tree near the shop (big pine..) Lined it up, and drove into it backwards while holding the clutch in. Wish I had thought to have one of the kids video it..I think I knocked at least one filling loose. Oh well, it was good for a laugh, and was worth a try. Now on to loosening the pressure plate and trying to slip something in there to break it loose. I also tried putting the truck in high gear and rocking it with the loader..(while clutch was pressed).. still stuck.

Ever seen a log truck with a chrome grille?:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Brian

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  15. reefer

reefer

I`ve had this and also a mate of mine has had the same problem.It is when the two surfaces stick together....in both cases a rap with a big hammer freed them off(obviously, be careful,don`t just knock seven bells out of it)

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Hell, I've never seen a log truck with a piece of straight sheet metal...ever.
    This IS a first.

17. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

had the same prob...now this is gonna sound pretty redneck but it worked...we jacked the car up with a pumper jack.chained the rearend to a tree.started it up in 3rd gear.pushed the car off the jack .when it hit the ground the clutch freed up.didnt even need the chain.cant be to save you know!!!!!

18. R Pope

R Pope

Get the brakes working, start it in gear and row it up to High, then with the throttle pulled out and the clutch pedal pressed, bang the brakes a few times. Works for me!
    If you are leery about taking it out on the road, you can jack up the rear end and do the same thing. Not as much fun, though!

19. bct

bct

fill the bellhousing w/ ether and the throw a match...i've unstuck crawler steering clutches that way and its fun too