Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects stuck bitten off more than... help in SF bay area

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1948stude, Feb 3, 2014.

1. 1948stude

1948stude

Working on a 29 5 window flathead 8BA project see this link
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=832068
    I am trying to mount the motor or at least mock it up before I finish the boxing plates. The front plates are tacked in and I am using some motor mounts I bought from speedway that are clamped to the frame and boxing plates. I am able to get the motor to sit on the mounts and rubber biscuits, but the holes will not line up. When I have gotten one side in the other gives me fits, or goes in cockeyed so I can not get a bolt on it. When in this way the whole thing is in crooked - I measure center of center hole on flywheel to frame on each side and its off over an inch. WTF - what am I doing wrong.
    I have never done a complete build - always taken others projects and fixed em up.... Want to learn, but starting to lean toward bringing this part to a shop.
    Would pay someone in the SF bay area to teach me!!!

2. looking at the pictures in that other thread , the pictures in the instructions and the part you are actually trying to use look different. i suggest you modify what you have or make new ones

3. jimvette59

jimvette59

You have the wrong motor mounts you should have the ones that go in the frame like the ones in your directions. First remove the boxing plates and start over.

4. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Are the bolt holes too wide or too narrow? I'm near you in Napa, not sure what I can do to help but let me know.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

They look to narrow in the other thread. Im thinking if you cut the flanges off that youll be a lot closer. Check out the av8 chassis thread, or the traditional chassis thread, or the how to build an av8 thread, or the av8 only thread, lots of pics to compare with yours.

6. 1948stude

1948stude

Devin I might take you up on the offer, what you doing Sunday??? Will see.....
    Beer, wine???
    Update pictures to the current set up on the other page - sorry thought I had done that already....

7. Try this -
    Raise the engine, put rubber biscuits and mount plates together on engine.
    Measure frame inside , measure mounts outside- then compare the two.
    From your pics it looks like the mounts c/c are too small.
    The plates on the mount and boxing plates lock you into no adjustment and your fabrication needs to be on the money. The mounts pictured in the instructions can easily be cut and adjusted to fit most anything, however you do not have those in your mockup.

8. Yes, you need these. The ones you have are wrong for the application. Or remove the mounting flange plate with the four holes on it so the mount fits inside of the rail.

9. 1948stude

1948stude

So I can probably fabricate more mounts from 2X3X1/8 stock that I have... take the boxing plates off and mount inside the frame adjusting as needed. Then do I box around the mounts once that is done?

I also made these (below) and could make bigger ones from the two pieces I have left over. The ones I made ( I know the holes are odd shaped - my way of making them oval was a stone and right angle die grinder) also had a similar problem with getting bolts to line up when the were tacked to the boxing plates...
    [​IMG]

10. Since you bought the speedway mounts already just hack them up to what you need. You can either cut it at the welds, trim to fit and weld it to your boxing plate or trim to fit inside the frame rail without the boxing plate on, use your extra steel to make a spacer for inside the rail and then trim your boxing plate around the mount and weld in.

One thing is make sure frame is level and square BEFORE you weld in the boxing plates, checking measurements as you weld to make sure nothing has moved.