Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stromberg secondary bases

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seaweed, May 3, 2013.

1. seaweed

seaweed

Anyone tried the 'secondary base" assemblies for Strombergs from Speedway Motors or anybody else?

These bases are pictured in the vintage carb section of the 2013 street catalog.

They advertise these bases as having no idle mixture (no idle screws) or choke linkage. I would think that by using these bases on the 1st. and last carb, you would solve the problem of the end carburetors running rich with progressive linkage. You would use the "standard base" for your primary (center carb). My "experts" have suggested I use them on my flathead with triple 97's.

Also,whose progressive linkage do you like best? Comments please.

Seaweed

2. Abomination

Abomination

If your carbs don't leak air in the first place, you don't need anything but the stock bases.

As long as the secondary carbs are FULLY closed (and I mean sealed up REALLY well) until they open, no air will be going through them. No air going through them, equals no fuel going through them. No air, no fuel... there's no idle to mix.

You can leave the idle screws in, adjusted however you want. It won't matter if those butterflies are fully closed at idle. There's no idle to mix.

As for no choke linkage, just don't hook a choke up!

I think those bases are just for lookin' pretty, or cleaning up the look a little. But if your secondaries are leaking air, no base in the world will save ya. ;)

~Jason