Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods stromberg fuel pressure help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 28 Ford PU, Oct 15, 2016.

1. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

Hi all if I posted this 10 times I'm sorry this site is very confusing to me.

What is a prefix? How do I post this. I'm getting very frustrated.

I've been around awhile but mainly a read only guy, but now I need help and I'm not even sure I'm in the right section to ask for it.

My problem is my fuel presure starts at 3 psi and drops to zero by the time (3-5 Min) it takes to warm up the engine.

I'm going to be short as possible because of my typing skills.

Running a 302 cid SBF with 3x2 Stromberg 48's on top of a tunnel ram in a 28 Ford PU Closed Cab.

Been through 3 Facet 12V square fuel pumps. It's not the pumps.

I'll start at the Moon Tank in the back of the bed, pump directly under tank running a 10" hose from tank to gas filter screwed into the inlet side of pump.

From the outlet of the pump I run 3-4' of 3/8" hose to a brass tee with a "Moon" 0-15 fuel pressure gauge. I just added this gauge to check pump presure after the pump/under the floor and it holds 4 PSI constant so the problem is beyond this gauge.

From the tee/gauge I run up 16"-20" to a vintage Carter Ceramic Glass Bowl fuel filter with NO FILTER in it now just so I could watch fuel flow,

That filter connects to a aluminum Eddie Myers fuel log mounted on the firewall. I come out of the fuel log with 3 see-through red reinforced fuel lines connected to each of the three stromberg 48'S.

The front stromberg being the furthest from the Myers fuel log I have a permanent 0-15 fuel gauge teed into the brass stromberg fuel nipple screwed into the brass needle/ seat.

Now this gauge at the front carb starts at 3 psi and drops to zero in 3-5 Min and the red fuel line goes dry (I even pulled it off, it's dry). Its a little hard to see but I think just the front carb/fuel line goes dry. I didn't pull the other 2 and the car continues to run without a hipcup at idle 700-750 RPM.

This is as far as my troubleshooting has gotten so far. My next step is to take the top off the carb to see whats going on inside.

If the car sits 30 minutes and cools down from about 180 so its not over heating I can start the cycle all over again.

Is it possible at all to build pressure somehow inside the carb to push the fuel back out? I know it sounds crazy but so am I right about now.

2. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

take the gas cap off and try it

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

Did I read this right, you have a pump under the tank and another on the engine?

4. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

The cap is vented,

I have 2 gauges one below the floor and one at the front carb.

Pressure is good under the floor with nothing at the front carb,

5. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

One pump under the bed floor. The tank is above in the bed.

I have 2 fuel pressure gauges. One gauge is 3'-4' after the pump, this shows constant 4PSI so the pump is fine. I have a second fuel pressure gauge at the carb fuek inlet thats where I drop pressure and when I pull the hose off that carb the hose is dry.

6. Good info.....and just because.....can we get some pictures ? Some that don't type so well can sure spot a issue from them....and maybe respond....

7. carbking

carbking

GUESSING!!!

With no fuel FLOW through the front line, possible that engine heat is causing the fuel in the plastic line to vaporize, thus appearing dry, and zero fuel pressure.

To check, manually slightly open the front carb while idling to see if fuel begins to flow in the plastic line.

Jon.

8. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

I couldn't sleep so I was in the garage at 2:00am taking the lines and fuel log off. I'm thinking it's not heat related at all. I think I have a restriction and it just runs out of gas in 3-5 min. With the front carb running dry first being the farthest away. It just happens to be the one where the fuel gauge is for the same reason I put it on the front line.

I'll put the football on and tinker later. Stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app