Register now to get rid of these ads!

stromberg 97 on a ford inline 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Julio, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

This might be an idiot question but can I possibly put a stromberg carb on my 170 inline 6 I have the single BBl holley but would there be pros and cons to doing this? this is all in my 63 comet. I havent tried it cause no carb to play with but would it need an adapter and if so are they available?

Thanks!!!!!!
    Julio

2. RAY With

RAY With

Any thing is possible but would it be worth the time and money ? Thats the question you need to ask your self. The original one barrell carbs that came on them is close to junk and had problem with been in shook apart and bolts falling out. This was corrected in many repair shops during those years. Would a 97 help? It may do some good and making the adapter should not be a problem but I don't know off hand if an adapter was ever made for it.

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

One of my old HRMs shows a Falcon with a 94 adapted to it, so there were adapters out there.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Years ago (Before Falcons) you could buy 2bbl to 1bbl adapters from Almiquist and such. Never were much use. But somebody could make one with out much effort if they have a mill. To far from my house or I would say come on over and we will see what can be done.

5. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I think the Bigger question would be ::

Once i use an adapter & bolt on a 97, Will my Hood Close ?

I really dont think it will ... A 97 is much taller than the 'Ol 1bbl & add an adapter & an air cleaner that fits you my need to cut a hole in the hood.

And by the way, I had a 97 adapted to a 223 in my F-350 Ford truck for a lil while & it seemed a bit much for the 'Ol 6'er.

Early Falcons used the Glass Bowl type Holley 1bbl, Maybe that would be a better choice ....

6. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

I bought a holly 94 at a swap meet with a 2 bbl to 1 bbl adapter on it for 15 bucks. all i wanted was the adapter and figured the carb would be a good core.

7. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I have a adapter ( offy) that i just purchased from the "dickster27" here on the hamb board and have been running Holley 94s and stromberg 97s on a test stand 235 gm six for some time , they actually run very good . Go for it the adapter is cheap and the visual is cool!!!

8. David Chandler

David Chandler

I ran a Holley/Ford 94 on a 250 chevy for quite some time. I needed a new carb, and I had a factory rebuilt left from another porject. A machinest friend made me an adapter, and off I went.
    That said, maybe you should consider a small Rochester 2 bbl from a 283 or a 307. It's probably flows a bit more, and you would less problems with worn linkage and throttle shafts etc.