Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stromberg 97 Fuel Pressure Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34FordConv, Apr 21, 2008.

1. 34FordConv

34FordConv

Hi All,
    Ive got a dual 97 setup on my flatty with the factory fuel pump... Sitting at an idle it runs smooth without any issue. I took it out on the road for the first time (trial run) and one carb float stuck and flooded. I checked it out and it was clean, put it back together did another test run and the other carb float stuck and flooded ... did the same with it, then the next run thay both stuck ... then just one or the other.
    The question is could the fuel pump be putting up too much pressure keeping one or the other float needle open to relieve it?
    I just ordered a 1-4 lb fuel pressure regulator to test this.

Does anyone have any other advice?

Thanks ... This is a GREAT Forum

2. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

have you rebuilt the original pump? if so you will probably find the spring is too strong and will overpower the carbs - its a common problem.

3. 34FordConv

34FordConv

Yup ... Pump rebuilt and both carbs. What I can't get by my pea-brain is I can rev it up any thing sitting in the shop ... When I put it under load on the road it floods

4. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

If you're right on the jagged edge of overpowering the needle/seat, it could simply be road vibrations that are allowing it to get by vs static in the garage.

Just a stab - fuel pressure reg should solve problem if it is fuel pressure related....

Also, many of the rebuild kits use a rubber-tipped needle - there seems to be a growing consensus that these aren't working well with modern gasoline & a change to a steel needle cures this issue.

PM - Uncle Max - he may know more about this as he rebuilds Strombergs

5. MBL

MBL

If you are using the stock pump, you can lower the pressure to the carbs by using extra gaskets underneath the pump housing between the intake.
    Tim
    MBL

6. Gross jets instead of the stock needle and seat helps too.

7. 34FordConv

34FordConv

Thanks for the tips!
    I think it's probably as Flat Ernie suggests. I'm on the very edge of the fuel pressure limit for the carb needles and the running vibrations are allowing the pump to overpower the needle/seat.
    I'm using steel needles (was considering the tipped ones til now).
    I'm very interested in trying the extra gasket approach as MBL suggests. If it works then I won't need to replumb and have to make room for the regulator.

Thanks Again
    Happy Motoring